Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Message 11 of 57

Re: 5G Mobile

Go to solution

Hi Everyone,

I'm sorry for any confusion, there have been several posts about this recently so I've merged these all on to this thread.

To clarify, all our SIM Only plans bought since September 1st 2020 come with SIMs that are 5G ready, so you’re all set to make the most of everything 5G has to offer. All you need is to use the SIM in a 5G device, and to be in a 5G area.

If you bought a 5G device handset plan before September 1st 2020, then you will retain your 5G plan.  

If you're already a sim only customer wishing to upgrade to a 5G sim please get in touch with our Mobile sales team on 0800 800 150  or check your MyBT for any upgrade offers.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 12 of 57

Go to solution

Thanks.

I have signed up to a 5g contract and was told my sim is ok, I’ve had the sim now for 5 years so will it be 5g compatible when my new phone arrives?

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Recognised Expert
Message 13 of 57

Go to solution

So just to follow up on my original post I have checked the options presented on My BT and none of the re-grading options offered to me explicitly state that they include 5G. I am only being offered 4G or Extra Speed 4G Family SIM plans.

So on the face of it, it looks like you cannot upgrade to 5G just by re-grading / re-contracting via My BT. @NeilO - is this correct? Surely I should be seeing it stated '5G' on the deals displayed on My BT? Or do you now get 5G even if My BT doesn't say it?

There has been some mention elsewhere that old 4G SIM cards also need to be replaced with newer USIM profile cards to properly support 5G. Is this true? Is this done even if you upgrade via My BT?

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 14 of 57

Go to solution

Checked my mobile upgrade options offers on the 14th when you first posted and they only showed 4g, checked them just now and after I click on change plan all the offers are listed as 5g compatible, perhaps BT are taking their time rolling the offers out to everyone?

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Recognised Expert
Message 15 of 57

Go to solution
I am wondering if the problem is that I am on a family SIM, and so am only offered family SIM deals, and there are no 5G family SIM deals?
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 16 of 57

Go to solution

You don’t need a replacement SIM to access 5G. 

Could be something to do with family SIM although it shouldn’t matter. 

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Recognised Expert
Message 17 of 57

Go to solution

As mentioned earlier in the thread I have an old account and I need to regrade to get 5G added, and possibly get a newer SIM card.

Except the regrading deals being offered are not 5G offerings.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 18 of 57

Go to solution

New SIM cards are not required to access 5G, your current SIM should be fine. 

https://www.ericsson.com/en/blog/2020/1/5g-security-sim-card

@NeilO has commented above regarding 5G on SIMO also it might be a quirk on your account. If you can’t see 5G on your online account you’re best calling 150, Opt 3 and Opt 5 for Mobile Retentions who will be able to help. 

(Occasionally you can get a better deal when calling to regrade as they can see offers that might not be available on your online account)

Highlighted
Recognised Expert
Message 19 of 57

Go to solution

Sorry @garetc you are incorrect. I have spoken to CS who say old SIM cards are not provisioned for 5G and even if you go into a 5G area with a 5G phone you won’t access 5G.

Whilst technically they could be provisioned with 5G as per that paper, at the moment BT are not provisioning 5G access onto them. So your point is moot.

New customers will get SIMs with 5G but they are still ‘working through’ what they are going to do with existing customers SIMs.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Recognised Expert
Message 20 of 57

Go to solution

Also there are currently no Family SIM plans with 5G. This is why I am not seeing any 5G upgrade options.

I guess if I took my SIM off the Family Plan I would then see some 5G options. However I would of course like BT to hurry up and decide if they are going to offer 5G on Family SIM as that would be the best solution for us!

This is rather frustrating when you have a nice new 5G phone. BT need to catch up and soon to retain customers!