Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
garetc
Aspiring Expert
Message 21 of 57

Re: 5G Mobile

Go to solution

Not incorrect, misunderstood.

I mentioned a while ago (message 2 of this thread) that you need to regrade or be a new SIMO customer for 5G to be provisioned.

You do not need a new SIM card for 5G to work.

0 Ratings
garetc
Aspiring Expert
Message 22 of 57

Go to solution

Wasn’t too sure about the family SIMs. It’s a bit of a shame that you can’t use the 5G network. Hopefully they’ll allow access soon for you. 

My iPhone 12 arrived today but I don’t live in an BT-EE 5G area so I’ve not had a chance to see how it works with their 5G although when I’m in Manchester I get it on my Samsung. 

0 Ratings
MrBelter
Expert
Message 23 of 57

Go to solution

@Colin_LondonYou're not wrong, what a waste of cash my Pixel 5 suddenly feels like. absolute stupidity that if you are on a Family Plan you are denied 5g access.

0 Ratings
GMR
Aspiring Contributor
Message 24 of 57

Go to solution
I have looked on my family sims to upgrade via my by and they can upgrade to 5g.
Maybe it’s due to the main sim now being 5g
0 Ratings
Colin_London
Recognised Expert
Message 25 of 57

Go to solution

How did you get your main SIM to be 5G separately from the other SIMs on the plan? They all have to be the same with the exception of add-ons (there is no 5G add-on).

Just checked my offers again - still only 4G & extra speed 4G.

0 Ratings
garetc
Aspiring Expert
Message 26 of 57

Go to solution

What happens if you follow the process to change your tariff not look at offers? 

0 Ratings
Colin_London
Recognised Expert
Message 27 of 57

Go to solution

That is what I am doing via the change plan option. Order website is only offering 4G/4G Max plans. As a Family SIM user I am only offered Family SIM deals. And as I said earlier BT are not offering 5G on Family SIM yet.

0 Ratings
GMR
Aspiring Contributor
Message 28 of 57

Go to solution
I just telephoned customer services and upgraded my number to 5g.
0 Ratings
StewM
Distinguished Guru
Message 29 of 57

Go to solution

My experience.

Prior to ordering my sim free IPhone 12, I spoke with CS. They considered I needed new sims for my two family sims. Set up the phones today, but only one would activate. Contacting BT this evening they tell me that they have sent me two new sims, both for the same number! Transferred the second sim from the old phone and I now have two working IPhone 12’s

As regards 5G, I am informed that these are plan related not sim related. Didn’t need new sims. As I have Digital Voice, they cannot bring up any 5G deals and will need to refer to the offline team. Looking like they will have to break the family sim deal.

I await contact from the offline team to see what they can offer.

Not a straight forward experience.

Stew

0 Ratings
MrBelter
Expert
Message 30 of 57

Go to solution

My experience.

After buying a Pixel 5 and not seeing any 5G i contacted BT and was told i needed a new SIM card which seemed reasonable give half the internet says you do and half the internet says you don't need one, the disruption is minimal with a SIM swap anyway so its no biggie.

New SIM arrived, i did the swap which was swift (just remember to re-enable Wi-Fi calling afterwards) and went for a drive around and no 5G. The UK Pixel 5 is a sub6 5G device with no mmWave so is more about cell capacity, range and a modest increase in speeds rather than the very short range line of sight mental speeds mmWave offers. With that in mind when you are in a 5G area you should see a signal, sub6 has similar range to 4G.

Yesterday i had a coffee from a drive through and was sat for 30 minutes in what both EE and BT coverage maps show as blanket 5G coverage and again nothing.

The only thing in common with everyone here is Family SIM and if that is the stumbling block to getting 5G it seems pretty ludicrous to be honest.

0 Ratings