Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Colin_London
Recognised Expert
Message 31 of 57

Re: 5G Mobile

Go to solution

Thanks @MrBelter.

I have concluded that this is a commercial issue with BT for some reason not having decided to add 5G to Family SIM plans. As Family SIM is primarily about receiving a bulk discount for having all your households mobile phone accounts with one supplier there doesn’t appear to be a logical reason for not extending the principle of offering 5G on individual accounts to Family SIM.

So it seems that either they just haven’t got around to tackling the change to the Family SIM offering, or else they are actively trying to get people off Family SIM so more can be charged for having individual accounts in order to get 5G.

However new family SIM plans are still being sold so they don’t seem to have gone away from the principle of offering contracts for multiple lines.

I would have hoped this would have been tackled well before the launch of the iPhone 12 because it has long been known that this would be a key driver behind 5G uptake.

0 Ratings
MrBelter
Expert
Message 32 of 57

Go to solution

It just seems strange that there is a physical block on family SIMs to use 5G, it makes no sense whatsoever.

There is now a number of Android 5G phones that retail SIM free under £300 (the £249 Motorola Moto G 5G for example) so 5G is now for everyone and more and more people will be wondering why it doesn't work for  them i would have thought.

0 Ratings
MrBelter
Expert
Message 33 of 57

Go to solution

Any updates anyone? I did have a BT chap tell me he was on the case as he was confused by the family sim problem but that seems to have gone cold sadly.

0 Ratings
Colin_London
Recognised Expert
Message 34 of 57

Go to solution

Well my update is that I took my SIM off family plan last night and, lo and behold, various 5G plans became available for me to choose.

So now I have started new individual contracts for my wife and myself .... at a cost of £4.60 a month more than I was paying on Family SIM. 😡

Anyway I’d take this as confirmation that it is BT not offering 5G on Family SIM that is the issue here, and that you need to break out of family SIM and go to individual contracts to get 5G.

0 Ratings
Colin_London
Recognised Expert
Message 35 of 57

Go to solution

PS. If you are a BT broadband customer BT Mobile is still the cheapest way to get 5G. I don’t dispute that. Just annoyed that they are not upfront about the Family SIM discount no longer being available if you want 5G.

0 Ratings
MrBelter
Expert
Message 36 of 57

Go to solution

Cheers for the information @Colin_London we have 3 family SIMs and i am currently paying £11 each for 30GB of data plus the usual unlimited texts & calls. I am not sure i am willing to give that up for a bit of 5g every now and then if i am honest. I certainly aren't willing to pay more when we have travel restrictions in place, the overwhelming use of my phone since the end of March has been stuck in what is now starting to feel like a prison rather than a home.

If i was in an area where it was blanket 5g coverage then I'd consider it.

0 Ratings
Colin_London
Recognised Expert
Message 37 of 57

Go to solution

FYI You can take your mobile only out of the Family SIM and leave the Family SIM plan running for the remaining two SIMs. Obviously costs more overall but if you are not in a 5G area at present I wouldn’t bother.

0 Ratings
Colin_London
Recognised Expert
Message 38 of 57

Go to solution

So as I supposedly got regraded to a 5G plan w.e.f. this morning, I took my iPhone 12 for a short drive this evening to an area of supposed BT/EE 5G coverage to test. Guess what.....

No 5G access in all three locations I tried, even with data settings set to '5G On' (so the phone 'uses 5G whenever it is available'). Stuck resolutely to 4G.

So it looks like you DO need a new SIM. Either that or it is the networks total failure to realise I am now using an iPhone 12 from when I swapped the SIM (as per other thread My BT still reports I am using an iPhone X and CS say they can't do anything about it).

Luckily I ordered a replacement SIM this morning just in case this would be an issue. I will report whether this resolves itself when the new SIM is activated.

0 Ratings
StewM
Distinguished Guru
Message 39 of 57

Go to solution

@Colin_London I will add to the confusion.

I bought two new IPhones 12 sim free, one for me and one for my wife. Had family sim with two sims. BT said I needed two new Sims. Sims arrived but both for my phone number. Activated new Sim for me, transferred my wife’s old sim into the IPhone.

Out today in a 5G area, both IPhones displayed 5G.

So, mine is a new sim, my wife’s is about 4 years old. 
I will add that the Family Sim package has been dissolved and I now have two single Sims.

Stew

0 Ratings
Waz99
Beginner
Message 40 of 57

Go to solution

I have 4 family sims.

I spoke to BT today as part of a retention discussion because I have changed my phone to an iPhone 12 and wanted to understand their 5g position.

BT advised that the family sims will be automatically updated to receive 5g in a few weeks and I would not need to receive a new sim. 

The single sims have been updated to 5g as a priority. 

0 Ratings