Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
MrBelter
Expert
Message 41 of 57

Re: 5G Mobile

Go to solution

FYI You can take your mobile only out of the Family SIM and leave the Family SIM plan running for the remaining two SIMs. Obviously costs more overall but if you are not in a 5G area at present I wouldn’t bother.

True but the nearest plan to mine has 6GB less data for £1 more (but i wouldn't lose sleep over a quid lets be honest)

0 Ratings
MrBelter
Expert
Message 42 of 57

Go to solution

@Waz99that's good news, lets hope they are good to their word.

0 Ratings
MrBelter
Expert
Message 43 of 57

Go to solution

Just a shot in the dark but do the APN setting remain the same for 5g?

0 Ratings
Colin_London
Recognised Expert
Message 44 of 57

Go to solution

So just an update as promised. The replacement SIM arrived yesterday and I activated it without issue. Went back to the 5G coverage area today and.... I got 5G reception 😃

So in my case maybe getting the new SIM did have the required effect. It was a very old SIM previously from 2016 so it could well have not met the latest USIM standard.

Or maybe it was the activation that kicked the network into action.

Anyway, now happy I have 5G access on my iPhone, although not happy to hear that I have broken out of Family SIM to start a new contract to get 5G (paying more in the process) when BT are now saying Family SIM will get 5G shortly - talk about bad communication 😫

0 Ratings
Colin_London
Recognised Expert
Message 45 of 57

Go to solution
PS. My account still has me down as using an iPhone X though despite the fact it has the new SIM details showing.
0 Ratings
MrBelter
Expert
Message 46 of 57

Go to solution

Nice one, my SIM was from 2015 so i guess that's why i had to swap as well. Are you happy with the speeds you are getting?

0 Ratings
GMR
Aspiring Contributor
Message 47 of 57

Go to solution

Great

Do you still get faster 4g when not in a 5g area?

0 Ratings
GMR
Aspiring Contributor
Message 48 of 57

Go to solution
My family Sim’s up for recontracting received a letter , so called and they have been recontracted at a cheaper rate one with double the data both cheaper and they appear now to be 5g contracts and I never requested that
0 Ratings
aubreyd
Aspiring Contributor
Message 49 of 57

Go to solution

I have a family sim plan 4 phones since 2016, I am getting a iPhone 12 max soon.

when I contacted bt they said I don’t need anything new for the new iPhone, just put the sim in to receive 5g.

I am confused as my plans are due for renewal, and sky are doing a great deal on 5g sim only.

obviously I don’t want to renew if no 5g available for my new phone!

0 Ratings
garetc
Aspiring Expert
Message 50 of 57

Go to solution

Lots of posts on here about Family SIM users not having access to 5G. Looks like you’d have to regrade/upgrade to a non-family SIM (at the moment) to get 5G access.

Sky use O2 and their network Is lacking in a large number of  places on 3G and 4G.