Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
shaaaaark
Beginner
Message 1 of 4

800MHz - Band 20

Hi,

It seems to be widely reported that BT Mobile has access to EE's 800MHz (band 20) spectrum and so would have the same coverage (particularly in rural areas, as I travel to some strange places for work) and I recently joined the network on this basis.

I live in London and have never seen my phone (iPhone 11, iOS 13.3.1, BT-C 40.0, VoLTE turned on) report a connection in band 20 -- only band 3 (1800MHz) and band 7 (2600MHz). I had put this down to band 20 being way down the priority and, as band 3 or band 7 are pretty much always available here, my phone will just use them. However, I noticed in the local Tesco Express last night that I was on EDGE which I never, ever, saw when I was on Vodafone.

So, interest piqued... I have compared the coverage maps for EE (which has band 20), Virgin (which does not have band 20) and BT. At the postcode IV22 2JU EE shows 4G coverage, presumably band 20. As might be expected, Virgin does not. But I was surprised to see that BT Mobile also does not.

So: does BT Mobile have access to band 20 or not? Did it ever, and has it now been taken away? I've just tried making a VoLTE call and this appears to have happened on band 3.

Thanks,

Shaaaaark.

0 Ratings
3 REPLIES 3
shaaaaark
Beginner
Message 2 of 4

Re: 800MHz - Band 20

Does anyone from BT read this Community Forum in order to respond??

0 Ratings
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 4

as the forum says it is a community forum for BT customers and posts do not go to BT  The forum mods who are BT employees do not read all posts on the forum

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
shaaaaark
Beginner
Message 4 of 4

Hi imjolly,

Thank you for taking the time to respond. That's disappointing news, though. I had hoped this would be a way of reaching someone at BT (or even an expert customer!) with a level of technical understanding/expertise that is sadly missing from the "Web Chat" and 150.

Do you think there is another avenue I might be able to go down in order to get an answer?

Thanks,

sh'rk.

0 Ratings