cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Parply
Contributor
Message 11 of 26

Re: Apple watch

Surprised no one has bothered to comment that BT has owned EE since January 2016. I have  BT sim only contract and was sent an EE branded Sim which implies sharing of infrastructure at some level. Surely even BT is capable of taking advantage of this in more than 2 years since acquiring EE.

0 Ratings
Dean007
Recognised Expert
Message 12 of 26

@Parply

EE was granted exclusivity of Apple Watch Cellular  when it launched, however this has changed and now Vodafone is also offering Apple Watch. I have asked if this will passed down to BT customers now as it seems an open market, but although they are part of the same group of companies they are run as two seperate providers. And just because they are part of the same group it doesnt mean you get the same offering, similar to VW and Audi Cars being part of the same group but not offering the same features and pricing.

0 Ratings
Andy005
Recognised Expert
Message 13 of 26

What's so special about the Apple watch, does it sound pips? Smiley LOL

Buy a quality wristwatch and you won't lose money, and it will always work.

0 Ratings
Dean007
Recognised Expert
Message 14 of 26

@Andy005

Apparently it just works! ( well as long as you are on EE or Voda for cellular)

I do worry how many iMessages will be sent when peope fall over asking for help with fault detection. But on the plus side the new ECG feature is great for those who suffer from Heart issues...

0 Ratings
Andy005
Recognised Expert
Message 15 of 26

I'm a bit old fashioned I'm afraid @Dean007, a watch tells the time, a phone is for calling (for the most part) etc. Still, there isn't much of an excuse for not being aware of compatability issues these days. Apple watches just makes me think of Casio watches, which is not very appealing but each to their own. 

0 Ratings
Parply
Contributor
Message 16 of 26

@Andy005

I have a very expensive mechanical watch that costs more than an Apple watch to send for maintenance every year. I never look at it for the time as I can see the time all around me. An apple watch allows me to control music playong on my phone, pay without geting my wallet out (which will soon be completely redundant). I keep my phone on silent and often not in my pocket to feel vibrate. A vibrating apple watch will help me miss less calls and messages. It encourages me to exercise and warns me if I'm unhealthy. I can use it for basic durections etc. etc. etc.

@Dean007

The VW/Audi analogy only works so far. The whole VW group shares infrastructure, technology, and parts. The differences are, ever increasingly, simply branding and styling. And in the BT/EE case the key factors are simply software and renegotiating a licensing agreement. Anything around exclusivity has probably expired now Vodafone are included.  The new apple watch announcement would seem like an ideal time to be able to announce support. 

0 Ratings
Andy005
Recognised Expert
Message 17 of 26

A nice mechanical watch is nice to have @Parply is it not? My last service was over 500 quid while it spent two months in Switzerland. Wallets will be around for a long time yet, longer than my lifetime unless you know something I don't.

0 Ratings
Parply
Contributor
Message 18 of 26

@Andy00520 years ago I would have agreed about mechanical watches. But having to regularly spend £500 to ensure the continued functioning of something that actually serves no useful purpose is frivolous. Which moves us into the territory of jewelry and art in general. Whilst others may prefer to express themselves this way a watch would not be my choice. Indeed a heavily race tuned and very planet unfriendly car is my choice for this kind of self expression. On wallets. I have not had a traditional wallet for several years. A few cards between two carbon fibre plates and a rubber band work fine. Not so recently I even managed to not use a cash point for more than 6 months.

And being futurist. The natural extension of the apple watch is the tattoo, could be anyware, that is powered by your own biology. The wallet replacement is some form of biometric authentication with body powered near field communication  on top of this or a less demanding contact based method. And longer term retinal implants can supply the high res images that a tattoo cannot. Ultimately a direct brain interface.

0 Ratings
Andy005
Recognised Expert
Message 19 of 26

It's personal preference @Parply on how one chooses to pay, and what items a person wants to carry. For me it's speed that counts and paying by card is faster than paying by phone. Advances will come but they will not be mainstream for years, the cheque book is still alive and well.

0 Ratings
Parply
Contributor
Message 20 of 26

@Andy005and maintaining tolerance personal preference is critical in any fair society. Even more is making sure that those on the trailing edge of any innovation are not excluded if at all possible. I found myself sitting next to someone in a pub last week distressed by a pending move to card only. Their debts meant that a bank refused to issue them a card. Whilst I would expect people to honour their commitments/debts I would also like to think that this should not be at the expense of having a life worth living. 

Moving to an iPhone X made payment at least as fast as finding a card in my pocket. Cheques ? Must be a decade since I used one. My inability to maintain a stable signature means I cannot mourn their end. Or the time it takes to process them.

To open another front. If I can use my phone anywhere in europe for no extra cost why does a bank charge 3% currency conversion charges. I can write the code to do a such a calculation in a couple of lines in probably any computer language the banks might be using. And with Brexit I can only see this getting worse as the EU will no longer be able to oblige UK carriers to not charge more when roaming in the EU ...