cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 8

BT 4G Signal

Go to solution

Have just switched from EE to BT and have found that the 4G is not as good as it was previously. Have been told that the network is exactly the same as BT now onw EE yet I do notice a marked difference in internet / data speed etc

0 Ratings
7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8

Re: BT 4G Signal

Go to solution

They are different MVNOs (mobile virtual network operator), and will have their own quality of service and signal levels, you cannot really make any direct comparison, as signal level is not directly related to the total transmitter output, it depends on how much is allocated to that MNVO, and how they choose to allocate it to their users.

There is a list of MNVOs here https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_United_Kingdom_mobile_virtual_network_operators

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 8

Go to solution

Not sure I understand - that list shows BT and EE as the same?

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 8

Go to solution

@gre1ddy wrote:

Not sure I understand - that list shows BT and EE as the same?

Not quite, you will see that there are lots of operators that use EE, and if you look at the entry for BT Mobile, you will see this.

Capture.JPG

With a totally digital network, its possible to allocate separate virtual paths to each operator depending on how much they are prepared to pay.

What you see as "signal strength", is really an indication of availability, so if EE decide to allocate more to their users, then the "signal strength" will appear to be greater.

As more users connect to a MNVO, this level will drop, meaning fewer new users can connect to that specific site. Its a form of traffic control.

0 Ratings
Anonymous
Not applicable
Message 5 of 8

Go to solution

BT Mobile is technically an MVNO but as they have since bought EE they are slightly different.

There’s no speed limit or network restrictions between EE and BT-M what it does lack is the frilly bits like data sharing, visual voicemail and some other iPhone services.

They also do not offer 5G handset plans and the current handset line-up is limited.

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 8

Go to solution

If you're on a standard BT Mobile package the speed is capped. If you have a HALO package on your landline and BT Mobile on the same account, you get a speed boost and the caps are removed. I get 150mbps on BT Mobile in Leicester.

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 8

Go to solution

I have bt mobile and now I got the halo benefits added I now get 190 download and 30 upload  it depends on the tower in the area really go to the ee covege site and put your number in to check if they any problems in your area that's what I do 🙂

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 8

Go to solution

they don't need specific 5G plans, they are all 5G enabled anyway and any old 5G phone will work providing it has the correct bands.

5G Speed.png

0 Ratings