Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
jaytelford
Contributor
Message 1 of 6

BT Mobile 4G speed is abysmal and a terribible connection

I have ran several speed tests since getting my supposedly 4G SIM and I am not getting anywhere near 4G speeds.

My speed tops out at max 4Mbits per second and my upload speed doesn't get much advice 1Mbit per second (that's megabits NOT megabytes)

This is not 4G speed - it's not even 3G speed, it's more like old style GSM speed and not only am I getting abysmal speed but the speed fluctuates wildly between 0 and 4Mbits.

This is making my SIM virtually useless as despite my phone telling me I have 4G coverage,.all I can do is make basic calls or send texts.

I switched from my last provider to BT Mobile I stead of renewing my EE contract and I am rather annoyed that my service is not as advertised.
Tags (4)
0 Ratings
5 REPLIES 5
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 6

Re: BT Mobile 4G speed is abysmal and a terribible connection

Speed is going to be dependent on the distance you are from the transmitter, and the number of concurrent users on that site.

0 Ratings
jaytelford
Contributor
Message 3 of 6

Hi @Keith_Beddoe I do understand this but surely that is the same for all mobile connections regardless of the service provider and I did not have this problem with EE.

With EE I got a pretty constant 60Mbps down and between 15 to 20Mbps up no matter where I was in the country and abroad I got an almost constant 3G connection with matching speeds.

I kind of figured that as BT Mobile is a virtual network ran over EE infrastructure, the speed would be a bit less than I was getting with EE but I was still expecting something in the region of at least 25 - 30Mbps down and 5 - 10Mbps up.

When I did a network coverage check - using EE coverage checker (BT Mobile runs on EE infrastructure) the coverage checker folder me that I would get excellent 4G coverage in my local area - Tyne and Wear and the BT mobile website did not contradict this.

This when I purchased my SIM, I purchased it in all good faith and am not getting the service I thought that had purchased.

Unfortunately I am not stick with a 12 mo the contract for BT Mobile or I'd go back to EE.
0 Ratings
orozz
Aspiring Expert
Message 4 of 6

Maybe a reset of network settings? Consistently get ~65Mbps 4G in my neck of the woods.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 6

Its not that simple, as each provider has a number of slots on the cell site depending on how much they want to pay.

EE may be paying more that BT Mobile, and have more slots, and better connectivity to their core network.

Once all the slots are in use, your connection would be handed over to the next cell site, which may be further away.

0 Ratings
jaytelford
Contributor
Message 6 of 6

Ah thanks @Keith_Beddoe that makes sense and explains why my connection and speed was better with EE than with BT Mobile.. BT need to make their mobile customers aware of this up front because it does effect how their customers use the network and services they are subscribing too.

Fortunately me for me, I live in an area saturated with BT WIFI hotspots but others may not and having to rely on BT WIFI. Is not how BT Mobile is supposed to work - or if it is, this needs to be made made very clear on their webpage.

I had taken the SIM only to test BT Mobile, it was my intention to upgrade to a more expensive handset plan in a few months after I had the chance to test out the network on one of their cheaper SIM only plans

So far however, I am having to say - I don't think I will be upgrading to a £50/60 a month contract based upon my current experience.

Thanks for your responses. You have helped me to better understand why my speed and connection is so flakey.
0 Ratings