Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Cocksy
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 8

BT Mobile App and WiFi Calling

Hi All,

I've got a Galaxy S6 which was bought sim free a few years back. I'm trying to get WiFi Calling working, and have added the APNs as per here, as detailed in another post.

The first thing that doesn't appear to be quite right is that my BT Mobile App doesn't even have a section for "Phone connectivity" at all, which seems odd.

Secondly, I can't find any options in the settings at all for wifi calling, which is frustrating.

I haven't rooted the phone, so it is still stock "vanilla" Samsung S6 as far as I'm aware. I realised that BT seem to have played a bit dirty by saying that only phones bought from BT will work with wifi calling, but I would expect the options to be there even if they were greyed out or said "no".

Anyone able to help at all? I don't really want to start messing with the firmware, but might give it a go if it helps me get wifi calling! Thanks in advance.

0 Ratings
7 REPLIES 7
Cocksy
Aspiring Contributor
Message 2 of 8

Re: BT Mobile App and WiFi Calling

Also, when looking at the BT My Mobile web page, wifi calling and 4G calling both say "Device unknown" for my sim & phone.
0 Ratings
Dean007
Recognised Expert
Message 3 of 8

Hi @Cocksy

Thanks for posting, as you have commented only phone (S8/S9)s purchased from BT with stock firmware are gauranteed to work, this is the same on most networks. However with the right settings and firmware it should work.

In regards to the handset and wifi calling settings, make sure the handset is upto date and has the latest firmware. Wifi calling can be activated by

• Connect your phone to wifi.
  • From the home screen, tap Phone.
  • Tap More in the top right corner.
  • Tap Settings.
  • Scroll down to the Wi-Fi calling switch and toggle it On.

As far the the BT app showing connectivity this is more a visual than anything else, and the device showing as unknown is normally a house keeping issue. 

To get your BT account to show the correct device, if you have an alternative handset pop the sim in and send a text.  This normally prompts the system to update your device type. If you dont have another handset, remove the sim and turn the handset off. Then replace the sim and turn on and send a text..

If the above doesnt work, you may need to have an online chat with the mobile chat team to ensure the sim has had its updates that enable wifi calling. In most instances, 4G calling needs the fimrware changing to an XEU (generic) or EE EVR

BT Mobile Chat

BT Wifi Calling

0 Ratings
Cocksy
Aspiring Contributor
Message 4 of 8

Hi @Dean007,

Thanks for the reply. I forgot to mention that that setting does not exist in my phone at all!
I'm guessing that means I'll need to change the firmware; can you recommend a site / instructions on where to get it and how to do it? Many thanks.
0 Ratings
Dean007
Recognised Expert
Message 5 of 8

Morning @Cocksy

If you look at the main Wi-fi calling thread the last two pages talks about putting the XEU version on a handset and a website. 

Make sure if you have important stuff on your phone it’s backed up, and you will need to put the EE/BT APN in again after. XEU will give you Wi-fi calling and 4G Calling. 

Cocksy
Aspiring Contributor
Message 6 of 8

Thanks @Dean007 - I'll take a look at that and see what I can manage. Cheers!
0 Ratings
Cocksy
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 8

Hmmm, looking at my phone using the "phone info samsung" app, it appears I already have the XEU CSU, but have XXU bootloader, PDA, and Baseband:

Screenshot_20180626-220800.png

I presume I need to update them all to EXU for wifi and 4g calling to work?

0 Ratings
Cocksy
Aspiring Contributor
Message 8 of 8

@DaveAlsop, I noted on the main thread you mention the possibility of having to do a series of updates to get it to work. Any ideas what I need to do?!

current active CSC:

Screenshot_20180626-220611.png

0 Ratings