cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 12

BT Mobile - SIM only - contract expires soon

Go to solution

My BT Mobile SIM-only contract ends in December 2022. Now that BT are not offering new mobile contracts does anyone know what will happen at my renewal date? Ideally I would want to renew the same contract with BT as it is convenient to have all my comms services in one place.

BT don’t say this, but one of the problems with EE is that free roaming is not included. It is included with BT. 

0 Ratings
11 REPLIES 11
Message 2 of 12

Re: BT Mobile - SIM only - contract expires soon

Go to solution

As BT Mobile has only just stopped being sold, I'm not sure anyone will have a definitive answer at this stage.

I suspect they will want to migrate you to EE rather than renew, but there are plenty of other network options that still include roaming if you are happy to change network.

If you want to use the EE network, there is at least one MVNO that I know of that uses the EE network and includes EU roaming. 

————————————————————-
BT Smart Hub 2 | Halo 3+ | Digital Voice | Sky Q | Apple TV 4K | LG OLED
Message 3 of 12

Go to solution

BT are obliged to notify you of your options before the contract ends. But I'd expect you to have your arm twisted into moving to EE. So wait for that & research other networks in the meantime. Cashback sites can make a big dent in what you pay when switching.

Something else to consider is WiFi calling if that's important to you. Relatively few MVNOs support it but it's getting better. It was what was tying me to BT until I found an alternative.

Message 4 of 12

Go to solution

My mobile contract (Family SIM) expired in September; I received a text message from them beforehand telling me what I needed to do if I wanted to make changes and that I need not do anything if I was happy to leave things as they are.
I did nothing and my service has continued as was with no problems

Message 5 of 12

Go to solution

@rbz5416wrote:

Something else to consider is WiFi calling if that's important to you. Relatively few MVNOs support it but it's getting better. It was what was tying me to BT until I found an alternative.

Great point, when I left BT Mobile, I didn't even think to check if the new provider supported WiFi calling which is important at home because that is where signal is weakest on O2, the base network of the MVNO I moved to.

Luckily, they introduced it about 3 months after I joined, although it hasn't worked well and data speed where we live is pants despite strong cellular coverage, hence I am on the move again shortly.

The good thing is it is really easy to get a SIM from all the networks and try them in your location so you can assess speed and coverage, often for pennies and with no commitment. 

————————————————————-
Message 6 of 12

Go to solution

I've had a BT SIM in my phone for years. It was originally on a contract but that expired over 2 years ago. I still pay the old contract price (+ any annual increases, I assume) and still get my Halo benefits. BT have never pressured me to renew the contract or switch to EE.

If you're happy with what you get from BT, just let the contract expire.

Message 7 of 12

Go to solution
Thanks. That is what I hope will happen!
0 Ratings
Message 8 of 12

Go to solution

We are all going to end up with EE eventually, they were pretty clear about it in the blog post a few months back, bar a few standalone broadband and phone only customers (which seems weird).

It will take a few years yet I suspect before you have no choice but to move and at that point, plenty may have changed in terms of what is on offer.

————————————————————-
Message 9 of 12

Go to solution

Update:

Spoke with BT today and the obvious was confirmed - that we will all have to move to EE eventually.

I have taken the plunge and will save around £100 per year.

Two things  to bear in mind:

1. EE does NOT provide free roaming as BT does. But you  can get roaming for one month for £10 if you need it.

2. In spite of BT’s efforts to encourage us to move to EE Mobile, they tried to charge me a fee for breaking my BT contract. Suffice it to say that it took very little protesting to have that refunded. I was glad that the refund was agreed but pretty upset that they attempted to charge it in the first place.

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 12

Go to solution

Hi

Hope you do not mind me messaging you.  Ive read your post about BT mobile contract coming to the end.  You said you received a message stating what to do next if you want to change things or leave alone and the package deal will stay the same.  Its 2 weeks till outs ends and have not heard from BT with options.  How soon did you hear before  the contract ends and has the deal you have stayed the same as is price and data?

Ours are 1gb data doubled to 2gb and bt broadband etc and currectly 5.46 a month for each phone.  Yes its going up to 6.24 per phone.

Look forward to your reply

x

0 Ratings