Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 11 of 295

Re: Disappointing

Go to solution

I did look for the T&Cs, but could not find them. Not sure how they could actually check that, as its mostly down to the phone hardware.

Its always worked with the existing network, so perhaps there is something in the new SIM that stops it?

Its not really a feature I have used much as I have a mobile broadband unit with a Three SIM card in it.

I just hope they can supply a standard SIM card as my phone uses one of those.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 12 of 295

Go to solution

I don't think you would have a problem but they may check for large spikes of data usage.  many of the providers say tethering is not permitted but don't actually stop it

the BT sim comes standard size with the smaller sim built in so if you need smaller sim for newer phone you just 'push it out'

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
gomezz
Recognised Expert
Message 13 of 295

Re: BT Mobile SIM only plans - Tethering?

Go to solution

As I have a Windows mobile phone I have to run the BT Sport app on my Android tablet which is preferable anyway with its larger screen. Sometimes cannot find an Openzone wi-fi hotspot for the tablet to connect to but get a decent mobile connection so can turn on Internet Sharing on the mobile phone and connect the tablet to that. As that uses exactly the same amount of data to use the BT Sport app I do not see why BT should not support it.

0 Ratings
deathaxe
Expert
Message 14 of 295

Go to solution
Same here complete deal breaker as I have not only used wireless tethering when going out but wired tethering when there was a big fault at the exchange and I didn' have broadband for several days.

Also the 20 gig package is very large, I haven't ever got near that even with Netflix etc.

Oh well will stick with 3 for now.
0 Ratings
deathaxe
Expert
Message 15 of 295

Go to solution
What is hilarious is that EE allows tethering yet they have tiny data plans, yet BT with much larger data plans won't.

Also tethering can be blocked by the network so it may not be as simple as "not supported" as in fully blocked.

Oh well will currently stick with 3 with their unlimited data and tethering plan which I got 3 years ago.

Just hope the merger with O2 don't, muck that up.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 16 of 295

Go to solution

I can't understand why you would stop customers tethering on packages that have data limits - does it matter whether I use my data limit on my phone or when my phone is tethered to my laptop.  If I go over my monthly data limit then I will be charged whether I have used tethering or not

I can understand that you are not permitted to tether if the package had unlimited data

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
high_peak
Message 17 of 295

Go to solution

Deal breaker for me too - Thank for this thread - just about to order BT fibre unlimited with sim only broadband - and would like the 20gb plan - just as a backup, should fibre ever fail - I only use about 1gb tehtered - but the backup of tethering is reassuring - will tethering be allowed once the full changeover to EE is complete? - another poster siad it might be - until then I will stay where I am - all out of contrcat on mobile and phone and fibre - will wait and see - not moving to BT without tethering.  Thanks for the posted information - very helpful

Tags (1)
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 18 of 295

Go to solution
0 Ratings
lee
Contributor
Message 19 of 295

Go to solution
The other issue is that sometimes they control what options you have via a carrier update.

For example I'm on O2 payg and O2 have removed the 'Personal Hotspot' toggle from my iPhone as tethering is only permitted for contract customers.

Tethering causes strain on the network as it allows the viewing of richer content on a laptop etc which in turn is why a data allowance is used faster.
0 Ratings
hippey
Expert
Message 20 of 295

Go to solution
The hotspot option does not appear on the iPhone 5 with BT Mobile. Can't comment on other devices but certainly doesn't allow tethering on one of our phones.
0 Ratings