cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 41 of 295

Re: BT Mobile SIM only plans - Tethering?

Go to solution

@deathaxe wrote:
The financial times last week had an article on the 3/o2 merger and they said that although 3 is the smallest network operator it used the most data at about 140 petabyes last year.

The difference is that Three have a separate PAYG  mobile broadband product which they promote. I have a mobile BB device with a Three SIM card in it. Its actually quite a good product, and does not use CGNAT, so you can use one to run a remote IP camera or server if you wish.

That would explain the large data usage, which is not attributed to tethering.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
luigi
Aspiring Contributor
Message 42 of 295

Go to solution

Very disappointed with BT was about to order SIM then found out about no tethering aloud.

I need to connect ipad  occasionally, so will not move to BT mobile.

0 Ratings
Wafudude
Beginner
Message 43 of 295

Go to solution
I can confirm that BT have an active policy to disable Tethering. Do not update your carrier settings if you currently have the option available to you.

Also, I have found that this prevents the iPad and IPhone from communicating in Keynote, so you will no longer be able to use your iPhone as a remote for presentations. Very disappointing approach from BT. Not a happy customer.
0 Ratings
cooperman
Aspiring Expert
Message 44 of 295

Go to solution
What is the issue with using keynote exactly? Will it prevent other remote Apps from operating too e.g. Freeview/Freesat or Sky remote Apps?
0 Ratings
sophos9
Contributor
Message 45 of 295

Go to solution

Deal breaker for me also, was going to move but after searching this - will not be doing so. Tethering is so common place now, Seems a bit 2005 to think that anyone who tethers is going to destroy their data limits.

Hopefully when EE is absorbed, this will get resolved. Its not a fancy new feature, its just common place and a general customer expectation.

So close BT. so close...

0 Ratings
jackjackrabbit
Beginner
Message 46 of 295

Go to solution
Please listen to the growing number of potential customers who won't be taking your new mobile service just because you won't allow tethering. I'm a BT broadband customer and am very tempted to sign up. However every now and again we lose our broadband service and the only way around the problem is to tether. It's only used as an emergency measure and I really would like the choice. Most of us are sensible enough not to go over our allowance and there are enough safeguards available to prevent this. Please think again!
0 Ratings
sophos9
Contributor
Message 47 of 295

Go to solution

I also do not see that no tethering is made clear at point of sale, would be helpful for BT to put a line in there. I've just gone throug the ordering process and I cannot find anything on tethering at all....

0 Ratings
roybad
Beginner
Message 48 of 295

Go to solution

Really woeful from BT.

What's the point of selling 20GB if I can't share it with my kids in the car, or to dial into work's VPN.

Absolutely ridiculous.

So, we're pretty much all loyal BT customers with Broadband and Telephone.

I for one will be looking at what the competitors provide to move all serviices off BT - and only because they think tethering is evil .. Well, they shouldn't provide a 20GB service - they should say "um, 20GB is not really real as no-one on their mobile will use it. we just think we've clever marketing people"

Silly BT

and no guys to reply to this forum to explain the ridiculous ant-tethering policy.

wi88le52
Message 49 of 295

Go to solution

Wake up BT, this is 2015 and no tethering will be a deal breaker for so many, me included. That community will have to continue funding the competition until there's a tethering option. As a shareholder, retired employee and BT fan, that's a triple disappointment.

Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 50 of 295

Go to solution

@sophos9 wrote:

I also do not see that no tethering is made clear at point of sale, would be helpful for BT to put a line in there. I've just gone throug the ordering process and I cannot find anything on tethering at all....

I think it is covered when you tick the box saying you have read and agreed the T&C and like most people can't be bothered and just tick the box

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings