cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
voxish
Contributor
Message 81 of 295

Re: BT Mobile SIM only plans - Tethering?

Go to solution

If EE allow tethering then BT do as well - same company, duh!   I've had an account with Tesco who also say 'no tethering' but it works fine - how on earth would they know?  And why offer 4G deals with TV etc just to watch on an iPhone?  Data is data is data!

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 82 of 295

Go to solution

@voxish wrote:

If EE allow tethering then BT do as well - same company, duh!   I've had an account with Tesco who also say 'no tethering' but it works fine - how on earth would they know?  And why offer 4G deals with TV etc just to watch on an iPhone?  Data is data is data!

BT do not allow tethering as set out in the T&C    EE and BT are not the same company - BT are in talks to purchase EE which will not happen before end of this year at earliest

BT have disabled tethering on certain phones when you use their sim  - read some of the other posts here

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
jjnevis
Message 83 of 295

Go to solution

WTF? This is crazy! I've paid for a cotract with X amaount of data - surely it's up to me if I wish to use it in a tethered mode or not. BT mobile need to correct this ASAP or they will get a bad rep and people will leave in droves. This is a BASIC function of a modern smart phone. I didn't think for one minute that this feature would not be available. Come on BT mobile - get a grip.

gomezz
Recognised Expert
Message 84 of 295

Go to solution

I *have* to use tethering with my current mobile provider as there is no BT Sport app for Windows phones so need to use my Android tablet.

0 Ratings
federalc
Aspiring Contributor
Message 85 of 295

Go to solution

Hi

I too fell foul or ticking the box and not reading the T&C's. I decided to ring first at which point I was told it was not supported, and then decided to write to complain. I reiterated mostly what has been said by many people on this forum and added that I didnt see how they could remove that service from EE users assuming the deal goes through later this year. I was with EE myself and was due to move to a new SIM only contract and assumed I may as well switch provider to BT as thats who I would end up with at the end of the year anyway. 
Got my reply today quoting 25 b as why I couldnt do it and they werent going to change their minds. This letter was what they call a deadlock letter, allowing me to take the matter to the ombudsman. I intend to try this route, but would urge everyone else here to do the same. moaning between us wont achieve anything. I'm also unsure where I stand on them disabling a feature of my personal property that was bought with this feature specifically in mind. OK if they want to say " don't do it or we'll cancel the contract" it's quite another to stop my hardware from doing it. 
I don't expect to get any joy from the ombudsman either, but if enough people complain maybe they will listen. I'll update this thread if I hear any more.
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 86 of 295

Go to solution

It's the BT sim that has been programmed not to allow tethering so when you use the sim your phone does not have the option. Your phone firmware has not been changed.  One of the penalties of ticking agreement to t&c without reading them. You could still have cancelled in the first 14 days but I think you wil have problems now

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
federalc
Aspiring Contributor
Message 87 of 295

Go to solution
I see your point, but its the phone that provides the connection, not the SIM, and their SIM has disabled a feature of my phone. All academic I know, and im not blaming BT for my mistake, I just feel that when you pay for 20Gb how you use it should be down to you.
0 Ratings
Kerloch
Contributor
Message 88 of 295

Go to solution

@imjolly wrote:

It's the BT sim that has been programmed not to allow tethering so when you use the sim your phone does not have the option. Your phone firmware has not been changed.  One of the penalties of ticking agreement to t&c without reading them. You could still have cancelled in the first 14 days but I think you wil have problems now

Fair enough.  While we should read the t+c we often don't and BT know we often don't.  

I would expect the salient points of the deal to be set out upfront, not hidden in the small print.  I regard this as sharp practice on BT's part.  I do hope feaderaic is successful with the ombudsman.

Staff from BT surely read these forums.  Would one of them like to provide us with the real reason why they do not permit tethering - as opposed to this b*******: "We don't support tethering because using many devices on one mobile service quickly uses up your allowance and can lead to out of plan charges. Therefore we want to make sure you're always connected on your mobile, and have the right plan for your mobile needs."

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 89 of 295

Go to solution

sorry but the BT sim has not disabled the facility on your phone the point is the facility is not available with the BT sim not that it is and your phone has been disabled

as I posted at the beginning of this thread if there is a cap to data limit then why not allow tethering but that is the decision BT took when launching there new sim only product

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 90 of 295

Go to solution

@Kerloch

if you just tick the T&C as read and agreed, like many do,  then how can you blame BT for the customer not checking the facilities improtant to you are available before agreeing the contract.  you still have 14 days cancellation and many have used that facility.  maybe BT will allow tethering in future - I hope so

0 Ratings