cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
federalc
Aspiring Contributor
Message 91 of 295

Re: BT Mobile SIM only plans - Tethering?

Go to solution
We're going to have to agree to disagree on the phone/SIM thing. The facility has been disabled by the sim in my view. If the phone I had didn't have a personal hotspot inserting a sim from a provider that supports it wouldn't magically make my phone do something it wasn't physically capable of. However if a phone has that feature and then doesn't after inserting a sim from BT it clearly has been disabled. Let's be clear, I am at fault here, not BT and I'm not claiming otherwise. I'm just complaining that BT are not giving us the real reason that it's not supported, which is that they will be paying for the bandwidth used on 4G at the moment and they are deliberately trying to restrict usage to keep their costs down whilst luring people in with a stupidly high allowance. I personally use about 1 - 2 Gb monthly, but occasionally hit 4Gb which was my limit with EE, so thought this was ideal for me. Setting limits is part of the initial setup and can't be missed, so the excuse it's to help us poor dumb people not run up large bills is ludicrous.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
federalc
Aspiring Contributor
Message 92 of 295

Go to solution
Here's where you can write to BT to complain http://bt.custhelp.com/app/mobile_contactus please copy your letter if submitting online, you get no email confirmation and you will get a reference number that is only displayed on the web page, make a note of that as well. I specifically requested that the letter be clearly marked as a deadlock letter, so as to not waste any time. I'm also making enquiries about the unfair terms and conditions regulations of 1999, again not sure if this will get anywhere, and it may seem a little extreme, but I feel that anything I can do to try to overcome this issue is necessary. Once we're down to 3 service providers in this country, which believe me is coming, things are only going to get worse.
0 Ratings
voxish
Contributor
Message 93 of 295

Go to solution

I switched to a BT sim because I assumed (wrongly) that BT had taken over EE and thus would get grandfather rights to the same service.  Clearly this was not the case - I've now switched back to a Tesco sim only (which is part of O2) and tethering works fine (but the speed isn't as good as EE/BT which is a shame).

Bait and switch is a pretty low tactic - as are all the various gotchas on using data abroad.  Very disappointed loyal BT customer.

0 Ratings
Lillpete
Aspiring Contributor
Message 94 of 295

Go to solution
Really annoyed.

I moved to BT mobile to get a higher data allowance so that I could tether with my chromebook as I now sometimes need my computer when on the move for work (obviously didn't notice that it's not supported) so after a few days of tethering I check my usage on the app and see there is £53 of additional usage!! As I an going to be charged 10p per meg for this. I have gone through pages of information and terms and conditions but I can't find either a clear explanation of the basis for the figure being charged or a contact number for customer services? Any advice?
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 95 of 295

Go to solution

tariff guide  http://www.productsandservices.bt.com/consumer/assets/downloads/BT_PhoneTariff_Residential.pdf?s_cid...

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
cooperman
Aspiring Expert
Message 96 of 295

Go to solution
If you don't want high and unexpected charges you also need to set the cap limit in your "My BT" portal.
0 Ratings
jarvinhio
Message 97 of 295

Go to solution

You can tether on an android phone, I have the £12 tarrif for my work and it hasnt charged me or stopped me using it for my ipad connection. 

I'm looking to move my personal number across from 3, and move to the £20 tarrif. Ill keep you posted as I have an iPhone 6 so be interesting to see if it works on that. If it doesnt Ill be using the 14 days grace to move back to 3 (win - win) 

Lillpete
Aspiring Contributor
Message 98 of 295

Go to solution

I am also on the £12 tarrif? 

Are you saying that you haven't been hit with any additional data charges? (The usage app is good as it tells you what additional charges you have built up as the month progresses)

0 Ratings
TonyBarretto
Beginner
Message 99 of 295

Go to solution

I can confirm from personal experience that "Personal Hotspot" aka tethering is disabled in the BT SIM in its initial configuration. However, it can be turned on as BT sent me a configuration file which needed to be installed and maybe some changes to the APN. I was able to see "Personal Hotspot" and tether from 21st May until today when I updated IOS to 8.3. Its not always 3G but you can get speeds of up to 20m. I used it last night (download IOS 8.3) as my mac would not connect to the BT Hub for any length of time (another known issue). After a month Ive only used about 3gb so dont understand why BT has an issue. The supprt team say "We as a company don't support tethering, but thats not true as you can get BT Business Mobile which clearly does support "Personal Hotspot".

http://btbusiness.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/23008/~/setting-up-your-iphone-for-data-acces...

My experience started when I moved povider to BT and got a BT Mobile (lured by the 20GB unlimited calls and text on 4G). I initially cancelled it as BT did not tell me the contract would start as soon as it arrived. I confirmed with BT Sales that "Personal hotspot" would work and then I placed a new order. 

When the SIM arrived I activated and soon noticed that "Personal Hotspot" was not there. Figured I was looking in the wrong place but after a while I phoned BT and they said yes it should work after checking, but I needed to speak to Technical. I did after a while trying to figure how to get through. They said its not supported but if it works then its not an issue and I would not be charged or downgraded. I complained to BT and they agreed that I could decide if I wanted to leave. 

I gave technical another go and I spoke to someone and explained I was disappointed with BT misleading me and wasting my time. Why should I not be able to use the 20GB I pay for how I want to use it. I was told that BT don't want customers to run up large bills by using several devices. I said I had no intention as I usually use WIFI but have had tethering as a backup ever since I started using iPhone (thinking about it I did also use tethering on a nokia before). The BT Tech guy phoned me back on my landline and started helping me resolve the problem (wish I had taken notes). 

Hope BT isnt going to be doing the same to EE after it takes over. I thought being a BT Residential customer for Phone, Broadband and mobile would be a better idea, but I'm having the same arguement with BT that I had with Vodaphone 4 years ago.

To be honest, I think the only way BT (and any other company) is going to listen and be fair is if OFCOM steps in and says it must be allowed. I can understand it not being allowed for unlimed data plans, though even then they could apply a cap and fair usage policy. 

Lillpete
Aspiring Contributor
Message 100 of 295

Go to solution
Hi Tonybarretto

Can I ask if you where charged extra for the tethering data?
0 Ratings