cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
federalc
Aspiring Contributor
Message 111 of 295

Re: BT Mobile SIM only plans - Tethering?

Go to solution

Spot on there again imjolly. Hopefully if they successfully acquire 33.8% of the UK market from EE later this year then this will give them a push in the right direction.

And here's a thought if anyone from BT is reading. The majority of users signing up early have BT infinity or BT broadband of some description and have taken advantage of the very generous £5 a month discount that this affords. Obvioulsy these people are not trying to piggyback the 4g network to save on having home broadband (which I think is the real reason you are worried about tethering (that and at present you are paying EE for wholesale broadband and you want to keep your costs down)), so why not open up thethering to people with your broadband at home? I'd even be happy to not have the £5 discount.

Here's the other thing - Three have agreed a cost to buy O2 - yes they'll have to go through the same things as BT and I can see Ofcom getting upset with competition shrinking, but O2 allow tethering (or at least my friend still has his personal hotspot on there) and I'm guessing that with Three offering all you can eat data that they probably do too (i'll research more later). Keep this up and I can see a mass migration coming on.

0 Ratings
federalc
Aspiring Contributor
Message 112 of 295

Go to solution
OMG - everyone of any note does tethering! See this link for more info. https://www.cable.co.uk/guides/whats-the-best-network-for-tethering/
0 Ratings
Sevan
Beginner
Message 113 of 295

Go to solution

Hi

I have just signed up for the 20GB per month price plan which is a fantastic deal for £20 per month with unlimed minutes, texts, BT wifi and sport app and the 4G speeds are amazing .. really happy with the service for the past 3 days as Vodafone are now a sinking ship in my eyes and are way behind all the other netowrk providers in terms of network provision and customer service ...

But I am not happy at the minute as I have just found out that BT mobile plans do not support tethering ... 20GB of data a month and they are worried that we are going to go over ... why do they not cap the data like EE does, when you hit the 20GB limit it just stops working .... this is all about money and trying to gain extra people to sign up as they do not want you sharing your data with anyone else, this is all this is about.

I had been tethering off a friends EE 4G connection for past 2 months as Vodafone are the only network provider who does not offer 4G coverage in my area and could only just scrape a 3G connection together .. I had been them 12 years and knew it was time to leave so chose BT mobile ... Anyway, both my colleague and I used that plan solidly for 2 months and the most we hit was 6GB this included his at home usage too .... so ....

Come on BT .. get into the real world like the other network providers and give your customers what they want ... you can cap the limit if you are that worried about customers incurring extra costs ... simple fix

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 114 of 295

Go to solution

like I said already most people myself included just tick the box saying you agree the T&C and can't be bother reading them then find there is something and wish you had now read the T&C

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Kerloch
Contributor
Message 115 of 295

Go to solution

"........most people myself included just tick the box saying you agree the T&C and can't be bother reading them then find there is something and wish you had now read the T&C"

And include me as well.  However rascals and scoundrels hide significant matters in the small print.  Those with integrity are up front about it.

I feel that this thread has gone on for so long for two main reasons:

1)  BT customers are astonished that a big-hitter telecoms provider like BT is not providing the same level of mobile service as the other majors.  It is lagging the field in this respect along with the also rans.

2)  There is no mention of tethering on its sales pages. I would have expected, as a minimum, that one of the FAQs would have been "Can I set up tethering?"  Tech savvy customers would likely have been surprised by the answer but at least they would then have been aware that, for the time being, BT is not be seen as a serious mobile service provider.  Legally they might be OK putting it in the small print but morally.......?

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 116 of 295

Go to solution

I'm sorry but it is not in the small print it is in the T&C and quite clearly states no tethering so the only people to blame are the people who didn't bother to read the T&C

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
mattward1979
Contributor
Message 117 of 295

Go to solution

Can anyone confirm that tethering is blocked though? 

I know the T's and C's says no tethering, but what actually happens when you do it from your phone? 

How does it detect tethered traffic? Header sniffing to detect the browser?

0 Ratings
Damien1
Aspiring Expert
Message 118 of 295

Go to solution
I know of several people tethering on android phones without a problem
0 Ratings
mattward1979
Contributor
Message 119 of 295

Go to solution

Is there a cooling off period? 

For the price I'm willing to risk it, but not to be tied in for a year without a getout. 

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 120 of 295

Go to solution

@mattward1979 wrote:

Is there a cooling off period? 

For the price I'm willing to risk it, but not to be tied in for a year without a getout. 

14 days from when sim issued

Cancelling your service

1. You may cancel your service without penalty if you tell us within 14 days from the day after the date we have dispatched your SIM. If you do cancel you will need to pay the subscription charge for your chosen price plan on a pro-rated basis for the period up to the date you cancel the service, plus any out of plan and excluded from your plan charges during the same period.

0 Ratings