Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
nikiandemma
Aspiring Contributor
Message 161 of 295

Re: Disappointing

Go to solution

I totally agree with the comments and I too find it frustrating for the small number of times that I wanted to tether and can't.

But I also get why they don't allow it, I'd say there's a few reasons:

BT was the first of EEs MVNOs which offered 4G (I'm guessing it was a thanks from EE for BTs interest in the buyout)

EE would have charged BT more to offer tethering (remember they're still 2 separate companies)

BT only wanted to pay EE the minimal and therefore wanted to pass on these savings to the customer in terms of 3 cheap plans

Those plans were then beefed up by what BT could offer themselves (wifi and sport) so they appealed attractive

My gut instinct is they'll lift the ban when the buyout is complete. When all the contracts have been signed and they figure out where they're heading in the market. I'd say with the 500MB and 2GB plan you will be able to use all of that allowance for tethering and with the 20GB plan they'll do something similar to Three's All you can eat data where you can use a defined amount for tethering, say 6GB.

Also interested in what plans they have for extra coverage, will we see mini transmitters inside street cabinets, more masts on their exchanges, 800mhz spectrum rolled out to more rural locations, 1800mhz 4G boosted in terms of mast output power?

If anyone has a link to a discussion about that let me know..

0 Ratings
julesjawdee
Message 162 of 295

Go to solution

I also didn't read the T&Cs 😞 so could have got away with a lower plan!  I do also find it disappointing though as I have a caravan on the east coast and there is no BT WIFI HOTSPOT and it was nicer to be able to use my iPad on tethering than my small iPhone screen 😞

I just moved from EE where for £4 more I would still have had 8gb Data but would have kept my tethering, I'd rather pay the extra but will have to wait til my contract is up!  Will definitely read the restrictions on usage in future!

0 Ratings
essjay
Contributor
Message 163 of 295

Go to solution

I've just read that the BT/EE take over has gone ahead now. My existing BT mobile contract is up in April, and as I really wanted tethering I was going to switch to EE. I'm now wondering whether BT will be allowing tethering on EE in the future for new customers. I really can't see them wanting different rules for each "provider". However if EE is allowed to continue tethering and BT mobile don't, isn't that going to result in a mass exodus from BT to EE?
Any thoughts?

Steve

0 Ratings
cooperman
Aspiring Expert
Message 164 of 295

Go to solution

I doubt there will be a mass exodus if the pricing difference stays the same. It's quite possible that the two brands will be kept separate. If so then it will all depend on how much you are prepared to pay for tethering.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
essjay
Contributor
Message 165 of 295

Go to solution

You say "if the price difference stays the same", but from what I'm reading here, a lot of people are prepared to pay the extra premium to regain the ability to tether. I for one will move when my existing deal expires.

0 Ratings
cooperman
Aspiring Expert
Message 166 of 295

Go to solution

I agree that there are numerous posts here from people who want to tether but how many are there compared to the number of people who have BT Sims? You do get what you pay for, how many Sim suppliers out there give you tethering for £5. A lot of the complaints here are from customers who switched before reading the T&C's. Clearly if you want tethering then you will need to find a provider who will give that but I'm sure you will now read the T&C's before switching.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 167 of 295

Go to solution

@cooperman wrote:

how many Sim suppliers out there give you tethering for £5.

Don't know, but mine does for £7.50. I've used it occasionally, usually in an emergency when the local broadband is down or non-existent. The point is that those wanting to tether regularly would be looking for a higher tariff. BT's top level is good value on the face of it, and my guess is that real reason they won't entertain tethering is because it would be tempting for some to use it to replace BB.

You're right in principle about the T&Cs but can see why others think it was a sneaky move. 

--
You can click the thumbs up icon below this message if you think it was helpful.
mcronline
Contributor
Message 168 of 295

Re: BT Mobile SIM only plans - Tethering?

Go to solution
I doubt it undermines BTs landline services. If the BT Mobile service was unlimited then maybe. I for one wouldn't tether to a mobile service as an alternative to a landline, especially as their is no limit on most broadband services. The tethering restriction is probably an attempt to stop the mobile network being flooded by people connecting their computers or console's background downloading huge downloads causing a lot of average Joes to complain they don't know how they burned through their mobile alllowance and bringing a complaint.
0 Ratings
Gaab
Aspiring Expert
Message 169 of 295

Go to solution

I was quite intrigued by BT Mobile's current offer. I took it all the way through to placing the order. When I read the T&Cs and saw the line http://www.productsandservices.bt.com/products/static/terms/mobile-service.html relating to their crazy tethering policy. I contacted customer support to confirm. They gave some awful responses to my question so I wonder how effective they are at detecting or stopping tethering. But I refuse to sign to a package that does not allow the freedom to tether.  I live in a superfast "notspot" and worse still, the connection I have on a monthly basis drops below par for days at a time. I use tether to cover those times. 

So yeah, yet again, bt does it again *golf claps*.

So out of touch.

0 Ratings
lethbrp
Message 170 of 295

Go to solution

I have their BT infinity 2 product and decided to switch to their mobile plans as they were quite competitive. Its was only after I switched, I realised they had disbled the Hotspot functionality on my iPhone. As many have stated, I'm not sure I follow their logic in doing this. I only need this functionality infrequently, but when I do its important. Fortunately, I was within the 14 days cooling off period and cancelled the contracts and went back to O2.

If they change their stance on this, I switch back.

0 Ratings