cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Guru
Message 181 of 295

Re: BT Mobile SIM only plans - Tethering?

Go to solution

Which is why I can Chromecast from my Ipad, which doesn't even have a SIM.

Stew

0 Ratings
Twinkleten
Beginner
Message 182 of 295

Go to solution

BT have really lost the plot on this, I suspect they lost all their knowledgeable mobile staff when they sold off  Cellnet/O2. Have they never heard of the Internet of all things. Anyone who drives and has car connectivity is lost as a customer to BT/EE is this a sensible marketing position, not exactly an enviable USP. As a longstanding BT customer I moved to BT from O2 attracted by the discount as a broadband customer, only to find that I can no longer get maps etc in my car. Very disappointed, hopefully the EE merger will get some sense back into the joint organisation the excuse of protecting overuse is spurious.

Tags (1)
0 Ratings
johnbs57
Beginner
Message 183 of 295

Go to solution

I hope (but doubt) the people who make decisions regarding tethering are taking note of this discussion, I know it is marked as solved but didn't really want to start a new post. I have been with BT Mobile since the service was launched in the hope that it might be allowed but my patience is wearing very thin, remember that only a small percentage of people bother to write a comment on forums etc. The old theory is that if you have a good experience with a company/product you tell 5 people but if the experience/service is poor that figure is double and this is definitely very very poor! The argument regarding protecting people from overuse is a strange one especially when one of the selling points is that they promote setting a price cap so there are no nasty surprises on the bill.   I will give it until the EE merger takes effect and then decide what to do.

0 Ratings
nikiandemma
Aspiring Contributor
Message 184 of 295

Go to solution

Number ports tomorrow, bye bye BT.

When they asked why I was leaving I told them because they didn't offer tethering. I added that even though EE did, they couldn't even match the deal I have gone for (Vodafone 20GB for £20) and I can tether the whole 20GB if I wanted to.

BT's response was "OK no problem" and I was put on hold whilst the PAC code was generated. At least it was hassle free.

In summary BT's been ok, my first 4G contract and I'd probably have stayed if they'd offered the tethering. Luckily I live close to a mast which offered Edge, 20mbps 3G and double speed 4G so the experience at home has been good, but elsewhere the indoor coverage has been weak. Despite the reduced capacity, coverage and overall slower speed of Vodafone, the mix of lower frequencies used is so far proving a better indoor experience.

0 Ratings
Antdberry
Message 185 of 295

Go to solution

Time for BT to allow tethering after all it's your choice.

0 Ratings
andyhurley
Beginner
Message 186 of 295

Go to solution

As a new BT mobile user I was not aware of this limitation. I switched only a couple of weeks ago and, last week found myself needing to send a document from my laptop while I was on the train. My work mobile did not have a signal but my personal BT one did so I enabled the hotspot, connected my laptop and sent the email. No problems.

Are they actually blocking tethering (in which case the block isn't working) or just not supporting peope who want to do it?

For reference I used a bog standard Android hotspot (on a Nexus 5) tethered to a standard Windows 7 laptop. 

0 Ratings
mcronline
Contributor
Message 187 of 295

Go to solution
On some phones aparently they block or remove that function but on a lot of phones they don't. Either way it is against the terms and conditions to do it, I am not saying they will, but you risk sanctions or a contract termination if you do.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 188 of 295

Go to solution

Parars 25-30 here have some answers.

--
You can click the thumbs up icon below this message if you think it was helpful.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
stoney1973
Aspiring Contributor
Message 189 of 295

Go to solution

It would be interesting to see how many of the people unable to tether are using iPhones, and how many of the ones able to tether are using Android devices... From reading through, it seems as if its mostly iOS users that are unable to tether?

0 Ratings
kos123
Message 190 of 295

Go to solution

Add me to the list of people cancelling after finding out Tethering is not supported.

I transfered 2 lines from vodafone to BT 20GB plan yesterday and this morning Personal Hotspot was missing. I really did not expect that BT would block tethering. Its nonsense and so is the bs reason they gave. Waiting for my number to be ported and as soon as it is tomorrow Im jumping ship and going elsewhere.

I was not informed of any T&Cs during call or received a copy of them. Would be helpful to publish during the order that BT do not allow tethering.

0 Ratings