cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Simplybest
Message 231 of 295

Re: BT Mobile SIM only plans - Tethering?

Go to solution

BT shops sell Smart watches that are linked to your celphones by Bluetooth and are capable of receiving texts and data from the internet. This is regarded by BT as using the BT Mobile data network as a bluetooth hotspot which BT say they do not support as it is classed as a form of tethering.
This then prompts the question is bluetooth hotspot between devixes allowed or not. If not why are BT selling smart watches which need this facility to operate properly?

Here's proof. There is no way this device can operate properly without a bluetooth connected celphone with a data connection.
http://www.shop.bt.com/products/motorola-moto360-black-leather-smartwatch-sm3933ar1b1-B2CX.html?cati...

I can understand BT saying they don't support it but this anomoly proves that BT must allow it or they are selling devices that is impossible to  be used on thei BT mobile data network rendering them useless.

So come on BT give us a straight answer is tethering allowed or not. If not you should withdraw the watches from sale at BT Shops as being  incompatible with the BT mobile network and not supported by BT's user policy in respect of their need to be tethered to a mobile phone network.

Tags (1)
0 Ratings
mcronline
Contributor
Message 232 of 295

Go to solution
I think common sense should prevail here. The watch is probably ok, as would be blutooth earphones and speakers. Connecting a PC via blutooth would not be allowed though.

Basically if it mirrors the phones data it is ok. Of it uses the data independently or if it not a peripheral, it is forbidden.
0 Ratings
Simplybest
Message 233 of 295

Go to solution

Of course the watches mirror some of the phones data but they also have their own independant apps like news feeds, internet access, weather, navigation directions and many other apps that use the data network via bluetooth but independantly from the phone. My watch has quite a few apps that works independantly from the phone but it still uses data via the phones bluetooth connection so t it uses my  network data allowance  by using the phone as a blutooth modem.
Obviously the cases you mentioned such as headphones, loudspeakers etc do not use data but this is not the case with smart watches. My watch also has Wifi access so when I am within range of my home router it switches to that for access so it can still use data independantly from the phone,therefore it is not just mirroring the phone but using my broadband access. Obviously this is not the case when not at home or in range of my router when it then uses the phone as it's source of network access.
this is not the only device that I have that works like this. I also have a satnav which uses a bluetooth connection to my mobile phone for live traffic updates whilst travelling. This is also using the data via the phone as a blutooth modem and not mirroring the phone.

If you interpret BT Mobiles rules regarding tethering, either wired or via blutooth, they are not supported.

What a farce as I currently use EE which is now owned by BT and they do allow tethering.

BT even advertise their mobile service which offers the facility to 'watch BT Sport Lite content, including 38 Barclays Premier League games, live Aviva Premiership Rugby & SPFL for FREE with the BT Sport app on your smartphone'.  This is more likely to flood and congest the mobile network at certain times by streaming these live to a mobile phone but they do not care whether your data limits are exceeded then.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 234 of 295

Go to solution

Tehering now available BT announce initially on android with Iphone (IOS) to follow soon

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
smf22
Recognised Expert
Message 235 of 295

Go to solution

Hi @imjolly. Hot news.

Can you share where you saw the announcement? The BT Mobile service terms, albeit dated 7th Oct 2015, still show the same clause 25b.

Regards

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 236 of 295

Go to solution

There's a bit in the list of features near the top of this.

--
You can click the thumbs up icon below this message if you think it was helpful.
smf22
Recognised Expert
Message 237 of 295

Go to solution

Thanks @pottyperson... though this thread is about SIM only plans. The text in the link states "BT is today launching new pay monthly mobile phone contracts with the latest phones from the big brands".

So it's not clear whether the change include SIM only.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 238 of 295

Go to solution

@smf22

check ispreview

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 239 of 295

Go to solution
Highlighted
Guru
Message 240 of 295

Go to solution

Help pages have been updated

Stew