Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
snowglider
Beginner
Message 1 of 295

BT Mobile SIM only plans - Tethering?

Go to solution

Hi,

Can someone confirm that the new SIM only plans allow tethering?

Thank you.

294 REPLIES 294
Message 2 of 295

Re: BT Mobile SIM only plans - Tethering?

Go to solution

Hi snowglider,

Thanks for postiong. We don't support tethering because using many devices on one mobile service quickly uses up your allowance and can lead to out of plan charges. Therefore we want to make sure you're always connected on your mobile, and have the right plan for your mobile needs.

Cheers

David

Community ModeratorDaveM
Did you get the help you needed?
Help others by clicking on ‘Mark as accepted solution’
Show your appreciation!
Click on the star next to a reply to say thanks
Help guide to using the community? Click below
Kudos”Kudos”
snowglider
Beginner
Message 3 of 295

Go to solution

Awww, deal braker for me. Was tempted to the £20 pound plan! But unfortunately work internet isn't reliable and I quite often tether at work, so not suitable for me.

Red_Snow
Aspiring Expert
Message 4 of 295

Go to solution

Same here 😞

Must be in the MVNO contract

Maybe once BT is approved to complete on EE then we'll see this becoming available.

Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 295

Go to solution

Notice the word "support". It does not mean that it will not work, as that is normally down to the phone itself. Unless its actually blocked in some way, then it should work.

BT simply cannot provide support, as it may cause people to go over their allowance, and then blame BT for telling them how to do it.

0 Ratings
Red_Snow
Aspiring Expert
Message 6 of 295

Go to solution

^ Indeed, are you going to test supported vs. blocked for us 😉

0 Ratings
Viewfinder
Message 7 of 295

Disappointing

Go to solution
Having just moved over to BT Broadband I was looking forward to see what would be offered for BT Mobile but what a let down.

20GB/month is far more than I would need. 2GB might suffice most months but not if I had to pay £100/GB on those months I might need a bit more. No mention anywhere about a sensibly priced "data add on" package just for when required.

No support for tethering - absolute deal breaker for me. I don't need this very often but it is essential now and then. When away, I need to use my laptop for certain things that can't be done on a phone/tablet. Also useful as a back up if home broadband is down. Why can't this be a user option? If I'm paying for a fixed amount of data, I want to decide how and where I use it.

Very disappointing.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 295

Go to solution

It works with the existing Broadband Anywhere package. Until I know what the arrangements for existing customers are, its difficult to say.

My HTC Desire has a wireless hotspot function, which I have used on the odd occasion I can get a decent signal when away from home.  I will try it again when its moved from the Vodaphone backbone, onto EE.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 295

Re: Disappointing

Go to solution

@Viewfinder wrote:

No support for tethering -

No support, but it may not actually be prohibited, its just not advised. Its a case of wait and see.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 295

Re: Disappointing

Go to solution

Keith

from the T&C

BT Mobile SIM Only Plans
Discounted price for BT broadband homes (excludes business). 12 month minimum term. Payment is by direct debit and subject to credit status. UK calls to UK landlines (starting 01,02,03) and UK mobiles, standard UK texts and data within the UK. You cannot share your data connection with other devices. Speeds vary by location, coverage and demand. One minute minimum call charge. 08 numbers cost up to 38p/min, calls to 070 cost up to 92p/min. 0800 numbers and calls to voicemail included. Early termination charge may apply if you stop your service in the first 12 months, see bt.com/terms. For BT wifi see: www.btwifi.com. Compatible phone needed, may need unlocking.

that looks stronger than not supported

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.