cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
astartup
Message 121 of 295

Re: BT Mobile SIM only plans - Tethering?

Go to solution
I used Tescomobile with my Iphone a couple of years ago. Even though O2 allowed tethering, Tesco didn't. They used the O2 network. I understand there is a problem with enabling it with piggybacked networks - Apple has to be involved. I won't be switching to BT as I need tethering.
0 Ratings
TonyBarretto
Beginner
Message 122 of 295

Go to solution

Actually its not just a commercial decison. It is a case of whether it is fair that a company can sell you mobile data and then restrict the way that you can use it without a reasonable reason. In the case of BT they first only told me it was to safeguard its customers from connecting too many devices and using extra data which they would be charged for. Lately, I have been told that its also as BT offers its customers free unlimited WIFI hotsoit access. 

The problem being that even when you live in London, you need to find a hotspot and be in a precise location in order to use it. Thats like getting rid of your mobile phone and going to a landline everytime you want to make a phone call. Like other mobile and broadband providers, they have the ability to warn customer via text that their using up their data abd customers can also check via the BT app that their using up their data. 

http://conversation.which.co.uk/technology/tethering-extra-charges-mobile-phone-smartphone-networks

I have experienced and seen this arguement of providers charging for something that you already paid for and regulators in the US at least seeing that it is unfair. As in the Which artcile above, its like paying for gas and electricty and then being told that you have to pay extra to be able to use it from your cooker. 

Its my intention to lodge a complaint with Ofcom and write to which, who also have powers to raise a super complaint if enough people complain about the issue and they see a justification. As they did in the past with the ailine industry. 

Tony

0 Ratings
TonyBarretto
Beginner
Message 123 of 295

Go to solution
It should say that they don't allow tethering, but they don't even tell you that your contract is supposed to start the day after they post it and not when you activate it...
0 Ratings
TonyBarretto
Beginner
Message 124 of 295

Go to solution

Sorry, but where exactly does it say that tethering is not allowed. We are annoyed because BT does not make this clear when you are placing an order and even their employees get confused between personal hotspot on the iphone and wifi hotspots.

Customers should not need to look at the small print by searching their web pages and have to ask in forums like this if it is or is not supported. They got it working on my phone when I had the option to cancel my contract, but now after updating to ios 8.3 and it stopped working they are making out that its just not supported. In other words if it works then it works but they are not doing anything to stop it from working. 

According to Apple, thats not true as they send the profile to the device and have to provision tethering. 

0 Ratings
TonyBarretto
Beginner
Message 125 of 295

Go to solution

It doesnt say anything about tethering here... or did I miss something ? www.productsandservices.bt.com/products/4g-sim-only-plans/nonbb.html

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 126 of 295

Go to solution

http://www.productsandservices.bt.com/consumer/terms/mobile-service.html

"

Prohibited use

1. You must not allow our service to be used:
  1. for machine to machine communication (this means the communication between two or more machines without a person); or
  2. to create your own personal hotspot which provides internet access to other devices which may be used by yourself or others (this is sometimes known as 'tethering');"

0 Ratings
rscott
Aspiring Expert
Message 127 of 295

Go to solution
Not obvious though. That page isn't even linked to from the product page - http://www.productsandservices.bt.com/products/4g-sim-only-plans/nonbb.html .

The product page does mention tethering, if you expand the BT Mobile legal section.

I don't see why they haven't made it an FAQ entry.
0 Ratings
cc241158
Message 128 of 295

Go to solution

Hi,

It is an amazing omission that there is no tethering allowed on BTs mobile plan. Modern usage of data plans need tethering as a regularly used function. This puts BT as a second rate mobile provider and not a forerunner as we should have expected.

I use bt infinity, tv and landline  at home and have been disappointed at the performance  of the online youview connection so im sure that you can understand my reaction at finding such a staggering oversight as no tethering. 

comment please.

0 Ratings
Guru
Message 129 of 295

Go to solution

Hi, cc241158, welcome to the forum. 

If you look through this thread there are many comments.

Stew

0 Ratings
sahmraw
Beginner
Message 130 of 295

Go to solution
They make windows phone apps for cloud and wifi but not for account checking and the sports app. I had tethering on 3 but no signal.at home. I end up using my husband's phone to tether when travelling as I am disabled so he is with me when I am on a bus or in the car. The rest of the time I use 4G on my phone when on my scooter or in town having a coffee. My husband won't move from 3 for unlimited data but for me unlimited minutes are more important. Even three restricted data usage by ditching the One Plan which angered my husband who used the unlimited tethering
0 Ratings