cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
walkerx
Recognised Expert
Message 71 of 295

Re: BT Mobile SIM only plans - Tethering?

Go to solution

@cooperman wrote:
I currently have a 30 day contract with EE on a standard tariff and have used tethering for several months. I have not seen anything in their T&C's which prevents that. There is no technical reason why tethering is not available on standard 3 or 4g sinnals.

it looks like they are allowing tethering

http://ee.co.uk/help/add-ons-benefits-and-plans/wifi-and-tethering/tethering-your-device/about-tethe...

0 Ratings
Vegan-Guy
Message 72 of 295

Go to solution
Is it correct to say that you do not "support" tethering but it is possible. In other words, would you disconnect/disallow someone from doing so?

As for the charges for going over your data plan, that can be solved by either upgrading your plan and/or limiting the amount that you can go over.
0 Ratings
Vegan-Guy
Message 73 of 295

Re: Disappointing

Go to solution

I've tethered my Hudl 2 and I've never had a problem.  That said, I'm currently on the 500MB/month plan so not exactly a massive user.  I've considered upgrading but if I won't be able to tether my tablet, I can't see the point.  Also, BT's maximum data plan is 20GB.  Surely they don't expect that sort of amount to be used simply on a phone, do they?

0 Ratings
Vegan-Guy
Message 74 of 295

Re: Disappointing

Go to solution

I tether my Samsung SIII and I've never had a problem.  I'm only on the 500MB but will upgrade to the 2GB.  BT state that you can upgrade at any time and downgrade one level once during your 12-month contract.  If I have any tethering issues when I upgrade to 2 GB, I'll just downgrade but I really can't see why it would be a problem.

0 Ratings
Vegan-Guy
Message 75 of 295

Go to solution

I've not been blocked.

0 Ratings
Vegan-Guy
Message 76 of 295

Go to solution

It's not really risky if you set a low "out-of-plan limit".  I've set mine to £5 per month.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 77 of 295

Go to solution

@Vegan-Guy wrote:
Is it correct to say that you do not "support" tethering but it is possible. In other words, would you disconnect/disallow someone from doing so?

if you read the T&C tethering is not allowed on BT sim - this was covered earlier

obviously if you are tethering phone/hudle then you are breaking your T&C - whether BT do anything about it is up to them

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Musicman1
Message 78 of 295

Go to solution

Yep - same for me, typical BT - give with one hand, take away with the other.

I was also told thos available on signup - then afterwards told it wasnt available - lies and damned lies from BT.

0 Ratings
nikihb
Message 79 of 295

Go to solution

I signed up for the 20GB plan, rarely used tethering at all, but was handy to have. However, more problematic is the fact that I cannot now control Keynote via my mobile, Use YouView Booking tool or control my gadgets via the harmony remote control system.

Come on BT, have the decency to respect that your customers know how to use their data responsibly. If you are charging £20 a month for 20GB, allow users to use the data as they wish.

0 Ratings
Kerloch
Contributor
Message 80 of 295

Go to solution

Earlier in this thread BT wrote "We don't support tethering because using many devices on one mobile service quickly uses up your allowance and can lead to out of plan charges. Therefore we want to make sure you're always connected on your mobile, and have the right plan for your mobile needs."

This is just insulting the intelligence of the service users.  Surely someone who is sufficiently tech-savvy to set up tethering will also be able to motitor and manage their data usage.   EE allow tethering and BT use EE's network.  I have an EE 500 MB monthly package and use tethering occasionally with my iPad.  I never go over my monthly allowance. 

Come on BT.  You are big and want to be even bigger.  Don't be so small minded.  Your current approach reminds me of British Telecom back in the 1970s.