cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 4

BT Mobile SIM only upgrade - maintains existing contract vs maintains existing term meanings?

I am looking to upgrade my BT mobile SIM for a larger data allowance. I currently am on a 30 day rolling contract as I have been with BT for more than a year. 

When I check the upgrade options available online some say 'maintains existing contract' and some say 'maintains existing term' - the latter being generally the larger data options. 

I was therefore wondering what these terms mean and what the difference is. If I upgrade do I automatically move to a new 12 month contract from my current rolling one or not?  

0 Ratings
3 REPLIES 3
Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 2 of 4

Re: BT Mobile SIM only upgrade - maintains existing contract vs maintains existing term meanings?

Hello @Margaretx9

Last year I changed my plan to a higher data allowance whilst out of contract and I had a choice of new 12 month term or maintain existing contract for the same GB. Chose the maintain existing contract option and my term stayed on 30 day rolling.

Hope this helps.

Cheers 🙂

Ozz

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Expert
Message 3 of 4

Re: BT Mobile SIM only upgrade - maintains existing contract vs maintains existing term meanings?

They mean the same thing, the descriptions are added manually so you sometimes see a mix and match, basically they won't start a new minimum term, whatever, if any duration left is unaffected, BT Simo's have great flexibility, handset data upgrades can be the same.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 4 of 4

Thanks for your help on this.

What I find odd is that the prices are much more generous on maintains existing term than maintains existing contract.

So for example for £20 a month I offered get the 50GB extra speed plan on existing term but only 25GB on existing contract (or £18 for 6GB)? Why is the bigger data allowance cheaper if is maintains term rather than maintains existing contract?

So neither option commits me to a new 12 month contract?

0 Ratings