cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 18

BT Mobile call forwarding and costs

I have a BT Mobile 4G plan with 15gb of data that includes unlimited calls.

I'm travelling to a country that BT Mobile doesn't cover with Roam Like Home, can I set up call diversion to another UK mobile phone number and if so does it use my included unlimited calls and is therefore free?

If it makes any difference I'll be using a Samsung A52 and Samsung S21.

Is the process to setup the call forwarding here correct for non business numbers?

https://help.business.bt.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/12815/~/how-do-i-set-up-call-divert-on-my-mobil...

0 Ratings
17 REPLIES 17
Message 2 of 18

Re: BT Mobile call forwarding and costs

If you're on Digital Voice and the other UK mobile phone number is a BT mobile and remains in the UK then call diversion is free of charge

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 18

Hi,

Thanks for the quick reply.

Am I correct in thinking BT digital voice is just for landlines isn't it?

I understand the scenario you are talking about however in this case I'm talking about a BT Mobile that is outside the UK in a destination outside of BT's normal roam like home coverage (Peru in this case) so any roaming charges will be very expensive.

While the phone is away I'd like to forward any calls to the BT Mobile number to another non BT, UK mobile number.

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 18

As a quick follow up on this I've done a couple of tests and it appears that with unconditional forwarding when both mobiles are in the UK there is no charge to forward the call, the call shows as free under itemised billing.

I'll check this in the next week or so when the phone is abroad and see if it still works and if so if it works for free.
0 Ratings
Message 5 of 18

The only no-cost option I can think of under those circumstances is to let all calls go to voicemail whilst you're away.

Set up a PIN before you go and you can then choose to either wait until you get home to pickup the messages at no cost or call in occasionally and pick them up remotely at whatever the going rate may be. 

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 18

If you’re planning to take your mobile away with you, then any forwarded calls would be charged like an international call. Essentially the forwarded call is being made by your mobile so you’ll be charged like a call from your international area back to the UK.

Theres some help on the BT site to activate unconditional call forwarding (dial 15712 to turn on, 15713 to turn off), and you’ll just need to update the forwarding number in your handset settings. It may already have a mobile number in there as your voicemail inbox, you can replace with the other UK number if you wish to set up forwarding as you’ve mentioned.

Hope that helps.

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 18

Thank you very much for the reply.

What you say makes sense, I was hoping that unconditional forwarding which is what I've set up using **21* or via the phone settings would just forward the call directly from the home network and not even bother trying to find the phone in a different country.

I'd read that there are charges for other types of forwarding such as divert when busy or after so many seconds but hoped the unconditional one would be free.

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 18

Is the other UK mobile that calls will be forwarded to also going to be in the other country while you are there ?.
Generally the device on divert is charged for the diverted part of the call , but with mobiles it may well be included….as a matter of fairness , if someone called a persons mobile regardless of a divert , and was unaware they were out of the country, they shouldn’t be charged ‘extra’ as they could argue that they wouldn’t have made that call if they had known this , but the person in the foreign country has the option to answer or not answer the incoming call,
I would think if they don’t have a roam like home type arrangement on the device that answers the call , they pick up any extra call charges , not the person making the call or the device on divert.
0 Ratings
Message 9 of 18

The device being diverted to will also be outside the UK and in the same country as the BT SIM however it has a UK number and it belongs to another network operator and that is allowed to roam for free in the country they're in.

I think the simplest thing to avoid any nasty surprises will be to disable voicemail and then just not answer any calls which should avoid any big bills and then call people back using a different SIM where roaming is included.

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 18

Call diversion to anything other than a BT number is subject to charges.

See All about Call Diversion for Digital Voice | BT Help for detail

0 Ratings