cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
CliveM1
Beginner
Message 1 of 12

BT Mobile costs in Turkey

I have raised a complaint a week ago with no response so far.

I switched on my Mobile phone in Turkey for 30 minutes and incurred a cost of £34+ ?

I did not send messages, texts or email during this short period and kept the mobile switched off for the remainder of the weeks holiday.

I consider this charge to be extortionate considering the amount of time switched on and the small amount of usage.

How can this cost be justified?

0 Ratings
11 REPLIES 11
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 12

Re: BT Mobile costs in Turkey

the cost of using data in turkey appears very high from BT prices so did you surf net or maybe your phone downloaded some updates for apps

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Dean007
Recognised Expert
Message 3 of 12

@CliveM1

Did you recieve any calls while your phone was switched on?

0 Ratings
CliveM1
Beginner
Message 4 of 12

No calls received or texts but some facebook and emails may have downloaded

0 Ratings
CliveM1
Beginner
Message 5 of 12

Yes maybe but literally on for 30 minutes

0 Ratings
Dean007
Recognised Expert
Message 6 of 12

Hi @CliveM1

I have just had a look at the tariff guide andTurkey is roaming zone 3, data used in this zone is 500 Pence per MB

Look under mobile roaming charges

BT Tariff Guide

Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 12

this give idea of cost per mb  Turkey is zone 3 and looks like 500p per mb

https://www.productsandservices.bt.com/assets/pdf/BT_PhoneTariff_Residential.pdf

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 8 of 12

@CliveM1 wrote:

Yes maybe but literally on for 30 minutes

You appear to have been charged for about 7 MB of data. If you hadn't had the phone on for a while and had stuff waiting to download, it wouldn't take 30 seconds to download that, let alone 30 minutes. Unless you've made special arrangements for data at a reasonable price, you're in for a shock if you turn on your phone outside the EU without first ensuring that Data and/or Roaming is switched off.

--
You can click the thumbs up icon below this message if you think it was helpful.
Seamaster
Aspiring Expert
Message 9 of 12

Yep, you’ve learned a lesson the hard way there. Keep data roaming switched off outside the EU and stick to hotel WiFi!

clever_trevor
Contributor
Message 10 of 12

This is why we should be aboe to set a ZERO for additonal (cap) spend - to avoid such a shock.

0 Ratings