cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
stereohaven
Recognised Expert
Message 1 of 20

BT Mobile drops access to 5G for new customers

And the quiet reorganisation of plans and products continues, make note if you are contemplating BT Mobile...

From ISPreview.co.uk:

"As part of a planned product simplification and to support EE’s claimed network superiority, BT Mobile has now officially removed 5G support for new customers. At present existing customers are unaffected by this change, which was quietly introduced on 1st September 2020...

...New customers wanting a 5G package will be recommended an EE 5G plan."

Tags (3)
0 Ratings
19 REPLIES 19
clever_trevor
Contributor
Message 2 of 20

Re: BT Mobile drops access to 5G for new customers

Oh heck; when I took my updated contract - they said option coming for 5G - So, hopefully can move to EE without penalty.......

0 Ratings
andydgg
Beginner
Message 3 of 20

my sim only contract is up in February, if they don't offer 5G sim only by then I'll go to EE.

0 Ratings
stereohaven
Recognised Expert
Message 4 of 20

This seems to be the point of the move as BT own EE.

Positioning EE as the all singing premium offering and BT Mobile as a simplified good value option. A bit like the differences between BT and Plusnet.

Either way, they still get your money.

andydgg
Beginner
Message 5 of 20

Yes,  I've just checked the price, £37 for unlimited 5g on ee 24 month contract,  £20 unlimited 4g 18 month bt. I'm thinking rip off, and now thinking of 3. Bt could lose a lot of customers over this.

0 Ratings
garetc
Aspiring Expert
Message 6 of 20

Could've sworn I replied to this already..

They've quietly 'dropped' 5G handset plans, but not for new SIM only plans which are are 5G enabled by default. If you're on an exising SIMO plan then you don't automatically get access to 5G and you have to regrade (change tariff up/down). I had unlimited data via Halo, in order to get access to 5G I had to drop to the tariff below which took effect from my next bill date and then upgrade to unlimited a few days later but now I have 5G on my Samsung S20 Ultra. Bit messy and seems ridicoulous that they didn't provision all customers but it worked.

If you're currently on BT and would like to move to EE you can although there's conditions. You'll need to contact customer service on 150 who will forward your details to a team called 'Best of Both' who can advise you what the steps are to move over. They can in theory end your BT contract and set you up on EE without penalty or Early Termination Fees (ETF) (with conditions such as new credit check).

garetc
Aspiring Expert
Message 7 of 20

*Deleted*

0 Ratings
stereohaven
Recognised Expert
Message 8 of 20

Comprehensive reply, thank you. I went and had a look at the BT Mobile pages, especially SIM only and there is no mention of 5G anywhere.

If it is enabled as a default you think they would perhaps mention it as that is a positive, no?

Whilst looking through the small print (which also doesn’t say 5G is available), I also noticed that BT are saying that they are starting to lock handsets bought through BT Mobile to the network as well.

0 Ratings
garetc
Aspiring Expert
Message 9 of 20

It's not being advertised, some of their own contact centre didn't/don't know about it but they are def 5G enabled. When I go to place an order from the website and then log into my account it shows that they're 5G (screenshot below).

There's a push in the contact centres to steer customers to their more premium EE brand hence the Best of Both team and that's probably why 5G SIMO is not mentioned or advertised anywhere. 

Speculating but I guess eventually they'll close BT-M or pass the customers across to their budget brand Plusnet but for now they're still accepting customers so it won't be immediate. 

That poorly written article also mentons that they're trialling the £5 discount for EE customers so I guess watch that space. The only reason I have Halo is because of the unlimited data and discount so when that ends I'll probably move elsewhere for all services.

Screenshot 2020-09-26 at 17.31.08.png

stereohaven
Recognised Expert
Message 10 of 20

Contact centre staff not knowing something and things being possible but not advertised are the default position with BT!

I’m leaving as well and taking 4 sims with me, so none of this really makes any difference to me apart from cementing in my mind thatI am making the right call.

There are some great staff at BT but honestly, the company, it’s leadership and systems are a mess.

0 Ratings