cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Flooda
Beginner
Message 1 of 20

BT Mobile - no coverage indoors😡

I’ve had a bt mobile phone for past 10 months which works fine out and about but not at home. If I stand next to one of our upstairs windows (and with a favourable wind) I sometimes get a signal, otherwise zilch.

Having spoken with BT today they recommend putting a post in this forum as they can’t help!!

Having read some posts, apparently BT rolled out signal boosters in the summer - I requested one of these, but that’s not available at the moment. Are these going to be rolled out again?? Or is the best option to get one of these EE boosters as some people are posting? Seems a little unfair to fork out £140 just to get a signal.

Any ideas??
0 Ratings
19 REPLIES 19
XRaySpeX
Recognised Expert
Message 2 of 20

Re: BT Mobile - no coverage indoors😡

Mobile networks won't/don't guarantee a signal indoors.

Oleir
Beginner
Message 3 of 20

hi Flooda,

I was about to start a new thread when I found your post. I'm exactly in the same situation! As a solution I'm considering buying a signal repeater from a third party company. I'm choosing between Hiboost and Stella doradus. And have you found any solution so far?

0 Ratings
csrothwec
Aspiring Contributor
Message 4 of 20

I am totally sick to death of losing my BT mobile signal in the house. I have tried numerous times (without success) to get assistance/constructive advice from BT and have found out that the only way of restoring the signal is to restore my iPhone via iTunes (a time-consuming undertaking!) I had to do the latter yesterday and then found the signal had gone AGAIN this morning! I then contacted my previous mobile provider (with whom I had had a contract for years and with which I did not ONCE experience a loss of signal) and have agreed to go BACK to them. They also asked my about my broadband/landline coverage and offered me a deal which will save me about £10.00 a month as well. I should be getting my new SIM in a couple of days and will then have solved the signal loss problem for good! Annoyed that I was tempted by BT's offeer to swap my mobile provision in the first place.

0 Ratings
KevinUK
Message 5 of 20

Hi,

I'm in a similar position.  One thing that I have noticed that helps is to switch my mobile device to 2G when in my house.

On an iPhone, the relevant setting is Settings -> Mobile Data -> Mobile Data Options -> Voice & Data

It improves call quality and reception.

Good luck!

0 Ratings
csrothwec
Aspiring Contributor
Message 6 of 20

Thanks for the tip. I tried this (4G > 2G), but it made no difference.

I shall see what my new provider says. (They are INFINITELY easier to contact than BT technical/"help" personnel as well!) Maybe my old (5c) iPhone needs upgrading or it may indeed be a geographical location issuse. I can even see myself going in the same direction as my wife in this matter and buying some bottom-range, out of a catalogue mobile which is JUST (:0) ) a telephone and keeping the iPhone for all NON-telephone communications whilst out and about!

Thanks once again.

CR

PS: Signal to BT lost AGAIN yesterday (after I had restored the iPhone settings (for the umpteenth time) just a few days ago after the (BT) signal had been lost again! Unless the error is at my end (and the new network will soon show if that is the case or not), then it seems BT is way out its depth in trying to get back into the mobile market (after its disastrous attempt a few years back (with is "BlackBerry" which was always a piece of junk and which ended up in the recycling centre when the service was pulled!)

0 Ratings
Dean007
Recognised Expert
Message 7 of 20

Hi Flooda,

Just to explain, the EE signal box is for EE customers only. Those networks who piggyback on the EE network can also use the box, but you need to be an EE customer to buy one and have it activated.

In regards to the poor reception in the area, its common with all networks and it is dependant on the area and network that your on. BT have been trialing their own Signal booster and have run two batches of these on a first come first served basis, again this have their own issues. They have to be plugged directly into the router and do suffer from drops. The other thing to note is that it has been reported that BT is currently testing wifi calling which is dependant on the handset but in my experience this is a much better solution. And should see some movement soon with some luck. 

Beware of repeaters you can buy online, not all are legal! whilst you will read many people complaining about the lack of reception it is not unique to BT Mobile. So users ecpect the same service level as EE for a fraction of the cost with BT mobile or for Wifi calling to be instantly avalible but although BT and EE are now joint BT Mobile still operates under a service agreement.

And its sad that a BT employee sent you to the forums,  you can always check on any faulty trasmitters in the area via this link

https://myaccount.ee.co.uk/networkchecker/checkservice

0 Ratings
Fady
Aspiring Contributor
Message 8 of 20

I think I read elsewhere on this forum that the EE booster can only really be used with an EE phone - maybe search through previous posts.

My own BT Mobile contract is just aboiut to expire and I am likely to cancel it on the basis of poor signal at home.   I've spent more time at home only in the last few months so previously it was a problem I could more or less live with. 

I do have a BT landline so I can obviously make use of the SmartTalk app for dialing out.  The issue however is that I need to be contactable on my mobile as that's the first number people are going to try me on especially since I may be out and about. 

A shame really as it's such a good tariff, but useless if it doesn't do what it says on the tin!  Coupled with the fact that I have the BT landline, broadband and TV packages.

I sort of hoped that a company of such stature would have had both the will and the resource to resolve this seemingly widespread issue by now (lots of other posts on here about this).  This is why I have hung on until the last.  To date all we seem to be getting are lame excuses about signal boosters not being available for manufacture or distribution.  Ho hum.   

0 Ratings
Dean007
Recognised Expert
Message 9 of 20

It maybe that the EE network that BT runs on in the area is more concentrated and used,  and therefore unable to handle calls on your nearest cell. BT could roll out singal boxes but that only resolves the issue in the home and not out and about in low reception areas. Wifi calling when released should help ease the issue. I moved from o2 who belive it or not were even worst for reception where I live.

You shouldnt need to keep resetting your netowrk settings on the iPhone. Not sure if it will help but try checking if you are having any local issues with mast in the area

https://myaccount.ee.co.uk/networkchecker/checkservice

0 Ratings
Dean007
Recognised Expert
Message 10 of 20

Hey Fady

I share your frustrations, I have one bar at best but its better than no bars I had with o2. BT maybe trialing or may do in the furture features that may help your situation. Providing you understand that its beta testing you can register to join the consumer trials. And the trials is a way for you to give some input.

Again I understand your comments about all the poor recpetion comments here, in fairness you dont get post off all those happy customers! 

As Ive explained in previous post, the signal booster doesnt resolve the issues really only eases it at the home and then with its own issues. Wifi calling is the only good way I have found to give the best resolve. BT Signal boost has been run on two small trials which is why it is not avalible now.

It maybe worth you having a look at the Bt trials 

0 Ratings