cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Mazza
Contributor
Message 1 of 24

BT Mobile not working abroad

I was in France over the weekend and annoyingly (and could have been worse) my BT mobile didn't work. "Use your phone abroad (data, calls, texts)" is set to "On" in My BT. I spoke to an adviser through an E-chat but nobody has got back to me.
Has anyone else experienced any problems using there mobile abroad ?

0 Ratings
23 REPLIES 23
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 24

Re: BT Mobile not working abroad

Did you tick the box to allow International calls as well, as that is neede to allow roaming?

0 Ratings
Mazza
Contributor
Message 3 of 24

Yes that is ticked.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
glassblower
Beginner
Message 4 of 24

You may be in the same boat as me. Restriction on roaming due to your credit score. Worth checking. Don't wait for em to contact you cos it just won't happen. I had to chase my issue all the way, one long battle that can't be resolved because they can't be bothered.

0 Ratings
Mazza
Contributor
Message 5 of 24

To be honest I can't be bothered either, if it doesn't work next time I'll go back to 3.
0 Ratings
egward53
Contributor
Message 6 of 24

I was abroad recently and also couldn't connect, emergency calls only and not recieving calls or sms. All options were enabled for use abroad. I solved it by going into the settings in Android and changing the option the sets the provider from auto.

I was in Turkey and the auto provider selected Vodofone TR, I changed it to Turkcell and striaght away the welcome to Turkey sms came in along with the rates etc, and also the backlog of sms messages. After that I think it became reset to auto again, but now it didn't matter which Turkish provider I connected to I always had a useable connection.

GerardQ
Contributor
Message 7 of 24

My problem while recently abroad in Crete (Greece) was similar...

On arrival in Crete, I was auto registered / connected to Cosmote Greece without any problem. I was able to send and receive text messages. I was also able to receive calls. The only thing I couldn't do was make calls. When I tried to call any UK number (mobile or landline), I heard the Cosmote Greece message "This number is not in use. Call 13888 for assistance" I think 13888 is a support number for local residents. I gave up at that point.

I further noticed 2 other local mobile network providers were displaying on my phone, WIND Greece and Vodafone Greece. I tried to manually register / connect to each of these networks, but it wouldn't  let me. I was stuck with Cosmote Greece.

I decided to have an online chat with BT. The guy had no idea what the issue was but did suggest, with my approval, to up my spending cap from £20 to £30. I approved this but asked him why on earth that would make any difference with my issue of being unable to make outgoing calls to any UK number via Cosmote Greece. The answer I got "I've  heard this has worked on some occasions before" I was highly sceptical. Needless to say that was a complete bum steer. 

In summary, I could send and receive texts and receive calls from UK numbers, but not make calls to UK numbers.

Might anyone have any thoughts on this one. Much appreciated.

0 Ratings
mcronline
Contributor
Message 8 of 24

Stupid question, but when dialing did you do 44 and on it the 1st 0, so instead of dialing 07484123456 you would type 447484123456.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 9 of 24

Mine's an Android phone; it's not on BT Mobile but this might be a pointer. Settings > Call > Home dialing is checked to "enable home dialing when roaming" and, in Home dialing settings, the option to use the original number (ie as in the UK, with no 44) is selected. Calling UK contacts from the EU works just as if I was at home.

If you're presented with an option when dialling to use 44 instead of the original number, decline it.

--
You can click the thumbs up icon below this message if you think it was helpful.
0 Ratings
GerardQ
Contributor
Message 10 of 24

microcline - not a stupid question whatsoever. I did however try the usual variants like 44 replacing first zero etc. but no luck. I also tried + (plus) in front of 44.
0 Ratings