Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
James_UK
Beginner
Message 1 of 9

BT Plus data doubling and mobile contracts

Go to solution

Hi all, 

Not sure the best forum to post these questions in, but have a few things I'd like to try and get clear around BT Plus and my BT mobile contract;

Had a 24-mth phone and SIM BT Mobile contract for 3GB data, unlimited calls and texts; this was due to finish June 2018, so called to see what was on offer and took out a new 4GB data and phone upgrade offer, and at the same time was offered to upgrade my fibre to BT Plus as a way to "double the mobile data for only £3 mth, plus extra benefits". I took this out at the same time.

I've got an issue currently open with BT because if I look at the My BT online page, I can see that my data limit is only 7GB, rather than the expected 8GB. It doesn't take a genuis to work out that it appears the BT Plus allowance has likely been applied on the old 3GB mth plan (4GB new mobile contract + 3GB "old" via BT Plus = 7GB).

This incident has been open with BT for nearly a week and a half now, and it appears no closer to being fixed.  I'm getting plenty of SMS text updates and making chasing calls myself, but just being told it's still being looked into.

As a layman, can anyone explain why this missing Gig can't be sorted by simply cancelling the contract, and re-starting another? Either just the BT Plus part, the mobile phone part, or both? I don't really understand why it can't be rectified simply and / or quickly?

Secondly, the BT mobile app on my phone (iOS) shows the data allowance as 4GB, which is correct insomuchas that's the amount of the "new" plan, but shouldn't that also show 8GB or at least 7GB in error, like the My BT page, allowing for the data doubling? Can anyone confirm if the iOS BT app does display the BT Plus data allowance "doubling" amounts?

I've also noticed that I can't change any settings within the My BT Mobile site pages, which is displaying an error along the lines of "Settings are not available at present, please come back in 30 mins", but which has been displaying for me since I upgraded. Also all the areas such as "your plan" also read errors like "plan not available at present".  Am I right in thinking this is related to the above issue? Like... the mobile contract is the root of the problem, and only when it's rejigged will everything line up correctly and work as expected?

Thanks in advance

Regards

0 Ratings
8 REPLIES 8
JSAccess
Message 2 of 9

Re: BT Plus data doubling and mobile contracts

Go to solution

Just signed up to BT Plus myself and I dont think the double data was for all phones only the main one. Having a similar problem regarding being able to amend sims. Took two phone calls to be partly sorted out!!

0 Ratings
James_UK
Beginner
Message 3 of 9

Go to solution
Hi JSAccess, and thanks for the reply.

Yes, this is the only phone I have on the account / contract, as it was an upgrade. Out of interest, what happened with you to partially resolve your issue once you'd signed up to BT Plus?

Regards
0 Ratings
JSAccess
Message 4 of 9

Go to solution

We have three phones on the contarct and couldn't remove the parental control, on-line it was saying we couldn't amend the sim. It took two phone calls to get to an advisor who had to work through at his end. He said it was done and I know one has worked, another one possibly (son in Germany) husbands hadn't worked last night, need to check again today.

0 Ratings
James_UK
Beginner
Message 5 of 9

Go to solution
Ok, thanks. Appreciated.

Regards
0 Ratings
Dean007
Recognised Expert
Message 6 of 9

Go to solution

Hi @James_UK

Just to help you understand the somewhat confusing plus upgrade..

*Double data and the fastest 4G speed is added to all the handsets linked to the account that Plus upgrade is on.

* Although the plan name remains the same on BT's system and places the additions as a plus benefit. The best, and the clearest place to view this is the BT Mobile App, if you haver not already done so click" settings" in the app dock and select to show all data for all sims. Then onces the app has updated click on the "my account" this will show the plan for each sim and the plus benefits for each sim.  Selecting "my sim" will then show the actuall data allowance including the double data..

In regards to cancelling and starting again, its not that simple and to be honest it is not needed. It just someone with the correct access to amend the plan. Not all agent can do this and it has to be passed on to someone who have access to more of the system. 

Normally changes to phone plans are not applied until the next billing date, which maybe why the account is showing double data for 3 not for 4. Please can I ask you to check your email confirmations to check when the upgrade to 4GB takes affect. If it should have started already, and not the next billing date I can ask a moderator to assist you..

James_UK
Beginner
Message 7 of 9

Go to solution

Hi @Dean007

Thanks for taking the time to reply. 

I must admit as I read your post it slowly dawned on me that yes, the actual contract date expiry for the original 3GB mobile plan ISN'T until the 20-something of June, so I can now see that it (of course) makes perfect sense that the double data would only be 3GB as it's being applied by the BT Plus new contract using the current (until the 20th) 3GB plan, until the plan officially expires and the new 4GB plan takes place, and when I assume / hope it'll increase to 4GB. I cannot believe I missed this simple explanation... Doh!

I appreciate the other comments too; within the "BT Mobile" app, under "settings", I only have one option; "reset app", and nothing else.. this SIM is the only mobile I have on this account, and it does correctly say 4GB plan in the app., although given what you've said, you'd think that it should still say 3GB until the 20th date when it all "upgrades".

I think this is what was confusing me so much; the iOS phone app says the "new" 4GB allowance is in place, the website says 7GB, and either I didn't understand it or it wasn't made 100% clear to me what would happen when. I assumed or thought I "heard" that the old contract would be superceded by this new one immediately, rather than it switching when it officially expired.

I do appreciate your offer of asking a moderator for some assistance, but some more changes have happened since I posted (I now see 11GB allowance on both the iOS phone app, and on the My BT web page (4+3+4 = 11?)) so, let's leave it for now with the assumption that it's 100% my bad and that I need to really wait until the actual 24 months period ends to see what gets "put in place".

Thanks again.

Regards

0 Ratings
Dean007
Recognised Expert
Message 8 of 9

Go to solution

Hi @James_UK

The one thing you will learn about BT is that it is all systems and scripts the poor agents and moderators are left to deal with the confusion.

On your iOS device, take a screen shot of the what the App is showing today as a record incase the billing goes a miss. But I am confident that by the time your new contract and allowance start that it will have ballanced on the system and it should all be sorted. Please let us know if everything goes smoothly, or if you need some help we can get one of the moderators in their super hero outfits to help Smiley Happy

0 Ratings
James_UK
Beginner
Message 9 of 9

Go to solution

Hi again @Dean007

Yes, agreed. Good advice and I'll come back and post an update nearer the end of the month.

Thanks to all who responded.

Regards

0 Ratings