Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
WilfH
Contributor
Message 1 of 43

BT Signal Assist.

Hi,

As I live in an area where  4G is pretty much non-existant anfd frankly 3G isn't a lot better I have been using 'WiFi' calling and this works well as long as  the mobile is stationary or within the bounds of the home wifi.  If you stray outside your wifi coverage  and don't have local 4G the call drops.  Whilst not a problem for me personally it is for my wife who frequently gets into the car and drives off (bluetooth enabled and hands-free of course).

Just before Christmas I spotted  the Signal Assist box for £20 on the BT online shop and decided to give it a go.  In spite of the instructions supplied with the unit it does not self-register and you do need to contact BT Mobile support if you acquire the box from the BT online store.  BT need to look at their processes here.  I had a 30 minute call to BT Mobile support and in all fairness the guy I spolke with was 1st rate.  Not something I could honestly say of my previous encounters with BT support. 

Anyway, the registration process was quickly completed and  the unit is now fully operational and for the first time in 15 years I have a full strengtj 3G signal around my home something I've never had with any provider.  Yet to confirm about my wifes ability to hand-off calls to the public 3G network but I'll report back on that but so far we're both impressed.

Now my real concern.  I've just spotted on the internet is that the units BT are providing are Cisco USC3331 femto cell devices which apparently have been declared as 'Endof Life' by Cisco themselves as of July 2017.  Does this mean that at some point in the future BT wll stop supporting these?

Any thoughts?

Wilf

0 Ratings
42 REPLIES 42
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 43

Re: BT Signal Assist.

Welcome to this user forum.

The process is that you first contact BT Mobile for advice about your signal. They will then refer you to the BT Signal Assist box, if they think its a suitable alternative. They will then be able to follow up your case, and register the unit.

It was not intended that people purchase the Signal Assist direct from the BT Store, and its not actually listed there, if you do a search.

As for future support, that is something you would have to ask BT Mobile.

WilfH
Contributor
Message 3 of 43

Hi Keith,

Thanks for the very prompt response.

Whilst it may not be the intended process and whilst a search on the BT Shop site does not produce any hits a Google search for the same string - BT Signal Assist does poniting right at the BT Shop.

Anyone looking at this forum can see the references to this product and I'm sure many are likely to do as I have just done and ordered one directly.  If this is not the intended route to acquire the product then BT need to remove it from their shop or at least get goole to remove it from thier index.

Your comments doevetail with some of the remarks made by the gentleman I spoke to and combined it all makes sense.  Irrespective of whether I got it through the preferred route or not it is a good product and BT are to be congratulated in this instance for using it as a solution.  Other providers like O2 are not so keen to be accomodating and is why I left them in the first place.

Once again, thanks for the reply.

Wilf.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 43

There should not be any direct links to the product on this forum, but there may be Google results that the mobile team cannot remove.

Anyway, the main thing is that you have your signal problem sorted now Smiley Happy

0 Ratings
bobdanbh
Contributor
Message 5 of 43

Keith.

I'm confused. The search "bt signal assist bt shop" gives the BT Shop, so I bought one. It is for a place that has no mobile signal from anyone (deepest Cornwall) but that is not where I am currently. I will not be in Cornwall until the box is past its 14 days return period so I wanted to test it out. Yesterday at around noon I plugged it in. At 18:00 today it's still fast flashing green.

Do I have to contact BT support or not? Or shall I be patient?

0 Ratings
chestermills
Beginner
Message 6 of 43

Yes I did just that, I did a search for the BT Signal Assist box on Google after reading about it on this forum and had a poor signal indoors at home. It sent me straight to the BT Shop and it was in stock so I bought one. Once it arrived I plugged it in and after running through it's setup process for about 5 minutes I had a solid green light and I was connected and it's been working fine ever since. I did get an email from BT a few days after plugging it in to say that they have activated the Signal Assist box and that I could plug it into my router, but it was all working fine before the email arrived.
0 Ratings
Message 7 of 43

Hi All, Just to clarify that customers are should to go through a set of eligibility criteria with a Customer Services  representative so that they can ensure that signal assist is is a suitable solution. Once this is determined they send the link to the customer. 

As mentioned we cannot control Google results but I'm happy that you have found this product to work very well for you.

Cheers
John

Andy005
Aspiring Expert
Message 8 of 43

@bobdanbhwrote:

Keith.

I'm confused. The search "bt signal assist bt shop" gives the BT Shop, so I bought one. It is for a place that has no mobile signal from anyone (deepest Cornwall) but that is not where I am currently. I will not be in Cornwall until the box is past its 14 days return period so I wanted to test it out. Yesterday at around noon I plugged it in. At 18:00 today it's still fast flashing green.

Do I have to contact BT support or not? Or shall I be patient?

You may create a problem if you plug it in at an address which is different from where you intend to use it. When you first connect the Signal Assist BT can detect it and will authenticate it for use. This can take several days depending upon how busy they are. I'm fairly certain that if a customer was to move house, they would need to contact BT to get the Signal Assist re-registered to the new address. It may be that BT won't activate it because it's not at the account holders address, or if they do you will have to contact them when you plug it in down in Cornwall. 

0 Ratings
bobdanbh
Contributor
Message 9 of 43

Thanks everyone.

There is a sticker on the packaging that says what to do if you move house i.e phone 0800 800 150. It looks like it's a recent addition. The little manual just says wait, no mention of contacting anyone.

It's still flashing fast so I guess I should allow "several days", having not been lucky in chestermills' 5 minutes.

It does seem a bit odd that one has to go some sort of confirmation process to be granted the priviledge of using something one has bought!

JohnC2's post is a bit ambiguous too. Question 1: MUST one go through the process of telling CS that there is zero mobile signal in the Cornwall location? Question 2: will the light eventually stop flashing if I just wait?

0 Ratings
Andy005
Aspiring Expert
Message 10 of 43

As it uses your broadband (about 0.5mbs I think), I assume that BT want to be sure that the customer has sufficient speed for it to not interfere with their normal internet use. They would also want to check that your mobile is set up correctly and it's not that which is the problem.

0 Ratings