cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
bobdanbh
Contributor
Message 11 of 27

Re: BT Signal Assist.

Andy: both sites have pretty fast BB, 0.5MBs would be trivial. In Cornwall my wife's phone - much newer than mine as she insists on a good camera - has wifi calling which works fine. I just thought that £20 for a Signal Assist would let me avoid buying a new phone; and also work when friends came to stay (which they do often since Cornwall is lovely!)

I'll be patient to see if it stops flashing.

Thanks to everyone.

0 Ratings
WilfH
Contributor
Message 12 of 27

Whilst I accept that BT can’t actually remove the Google regency to their website there is nothing to stop them removing the listing on the BT shop to which the Google Link refers and this would sort the problem for Customer Services. If this is a support solution to signal black-spots alone then it shouldn’t have been listed in the first place. In any event they could have refused to sell us the product if they really wanted to - but of course that might push some potential customers to other providers whilst highlighting gaps in BT/EE coverage.

With regard to Wi-Fi calling whilst it is a solution in poor signal areas it has its own limitations as follows:
1) call hand off works both to and from WiFi calling but ONLY to 4G. If you live in a 4G poor area and tend to move around a lot around your home or to/from a car whilst in an active call this is likely to be a problem with calls dropping.
2) WiFi is notoriously susceptible to local interference and drop-outs causing call failure EVEN if you believe your WiFi is strong and robust. Underlying TCP behaviours usually hides packet loss and dropouts on WiFi but in a situation where a significant number of retries or resends cause an interruption to the call path the call can and will fail.
The Signal Assist box is a better solution in my view but it also has its limitations.
1) the Cisco solution as used by BT only supports 3G
2) Call hand off only works from your Assist box to local Public 3G but not the other way. You can make outgoing calls on your Assit box and receive incoming calls but can’t roam into the cell as the call will either drop or remain on the public cell if there is still signal. I suspect there are multiple reasons for this as a designed behaviour, not least of which it avoids of passers-by registeringn on your femto cell and hence your broadband.

Worth adding perhaps that the 3G coverage provided by the Signal Assist box seems to be better than most routers could provide in a fairly standard 3 bedroom property.

Wilf
0 Ratings
bobdanbh
Contributor
Message 13 of 27

The saga continues.

Absolute shambles.  It's been blinking for 5+ days now. On Saturday I phoned 0800 800 150 and got through to a guy who claimed to know about the SAs and that it would configure itself eventually.
Monday comes and still blinking. So I call the support number on the box. Support says phone the BT Shop. I do so, and BT Shop puts me through to yet another support person, this time Business Broadband Support! Who tell me to phone BT Shop. I do so, and they put me through to yet another support person who says the Signal Assist only works if you have BT Mobile. Quite how the box can tell what it will encounter when it stops blinking is beyond the chap's ability to explain since it implies a degree of intelligence in the SA about who might be in the house.

So where do I go from here? I've been told

a) the SA confgures itself. Estimates vary from 1 day to 3-5 days.

b) it only works if you have a BT sim.

c) It will work with any BT/EE mobile.

d) It can prove the Reimann Hypothesis (I lie about this one.)

0 Ratings
bobdanbh
Contributor
Message 14 of 27

Oh, I forgot. I was told I shouldn't have been allowed to buy a SA.

0 Ratings
Message 15 of 27

Hi @bobdanbh

We'll be happy to take a look at this for you. I've sent a private message to you explaining how you can send over your details.

Cheers

Stuart

Community ModeratorStuartH
Did you get the help you needed?
Help others by clicking on ‘Mark as accepted solution’
Show your appreciation!
Click on the star next to a reply to say thanks
Help guide to using the community? Click below
Kudos”
Please avoid contacting us (moderators) via private message, for account/fault issues, unless invited to do so. The community will be able to help answer your question so we encourage you to create a new thread if you can’t find the answer from existing discussions. The moderators will be around to lend a hand should the community not have the answers. Thank You
0 Ratings
bobdanbh
Contributor
Message 16 of 27

Thanks Stuart

I suspect I am rather dim. I've received two messages with headings 1) StuartH mentioned you in BT Community, and 2) You have received a private message in the BT Community!. But neither of the messages tell me how to see what you've written.

0 Ratings
WilfH
Contributor
Message 17 of 27

Hi

Believe it or not most of whatbyou’ve Been told is actually true but needs qualified.

It appears ( see response earlier in this thread from Keith Baddox) that you shouldn’t actually have been able to by the SA unit directly though that said that’s exactly what I did. The standard route for purchase seems to be that BT support themselves should offer you this as a solution to poor signal problems charging you £20 as part of the process to supply the kit. Part of that process should pre-enable the device you are supplied on their system. It needs to know your exact location so it can interact with other local cells for hand-off purposes. Had it been supplied in that manner it should self activate after a short(?) delay. Since you bought it direct someone will have to add the device with your location and it’s IMEI to their system in order for it to begin working.

The SA device is a Cisco unit and was available in a number of different variants each of which is designed to work with a single mobile network provider and to that end the unit should only work with BT sims. In point of fact BT is a virtual network operator and uses the EE mobile infrastructure so you actually connect to EE cells with your BT sim/phone. So whilst I can’t say for certain I suspect the statement about BT/EE Sims is actually true. Note that sims from other providers should not be able to register against your SA unit.

One final comment. Mine has been working very well for over a week and I am delighted with its performance. I was somewhat surprised this morning to be almost a kilometre from home and when making a call got the tone indicating that my phone was still attached to either my local SA unit or possibly connected to someone else’s. In any event it is a good solution.

Regards

Wilf.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 18 of 27

@bobdanbh wrote:

Thanks Stuart

I suspect I am rather dim. I've received two messages with headings 1) StuartH mentioned you in BT Community, and 2) You have received a private message in the BT Community!. But neither of the messages tell me how to see what you've written.

Try https://community.bt.com/t5/notes/privatenotespage

0 Ratings
bobdanbh
Contributor
Message 19 of 27

Thanks Wilf

My current problem is finding "someone [who] will ... add the device with [my] location and its IMEI to their system". I get pass the parcel responses from everyone. It's somewhat annoying when the retailer (BT Shop) can't/won't support what I've innocently bought.

I also found it nonsensical to be told "oh well, you haven't got a BT sim so no wonder it won't even stop flashing" when clearly until it stops flashing it won't have any idea about what phones with what sims are trying to use it. In fact, my wife has an EE phone and I have an el cheapo Plusnet SIM.

Anyway, I'll see what Stuart says. And then of course I'll have to go through the same rigmarole again when I move the box to Cornwall.

I'm delighted (grrr) that your is working so well.

Regards

(As an aside, these boxes seem to be involved in more internet rumours than anything I've ever researched. I've just had a look on the Plusnet forums.)

0 Ratings
bobdanbh
Contributor
Message 20 of 27

Thanks Keith. It wasn't obvious.
0 Ratings