cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
bobdanbh
Contributor
Message 21 of 43

Re: BT Signal Assist.

Progress!! Now the light has turned to continuous RED.

I turn the SA off, wait a minute, and turn it on again. Yeah, it's back to my old friend: flashing green. Excitement over for the week.

0 Ratings
bobdanbh
Contributor
Message 22 of 43

I got a call from the Signal Assist guys in Swansea. Very helpful, and dispelled many myths.

You do have to be authorised against a BT *or* EE mobile phone. I didn't have either on my BT account, so no authorisation had been requested. Since my wife has an EE phone the SA will now be authorised against her phone.

The Cisco box apparently turns off if it detects too good a mobile signal, so my attempt to try it out here where I have an OK mobile signal was doomed. The Swansea chap is going to get EE (yes, EE do the authorisations) to authorise the box for my address in Cornwall, where there is no signal.

Of course, this could all be flannel and when I get the box to Cornwall it won't work; but I doubt it. The chap knew his stuff. He was pretty scathing about BT Shop not putting me through to his group, with whom I  would have saved hours.

So, it's off to the South West in hope.

Thanks to all who've tried to help here. I hope the information I've just given is illuminating.

0 Ratings
Message 23 of 43

I have had problems with mobile signal where I live in Milton Keynes for some time and contacted BT to try and find out why and if this can be resolved. I used BT online chat, had two conversations and was basically passed from one support person to the next with both conversations being cancelled by them without giving me an opportunity to respond. I then called BT and spoke to a very helpful lady in Swansea. She initiated a fault call and I was later told that the nearest mast needs updating and that this would take 3-4 days, maybe a week. Eventually I was told that the mast was OK and when I pressed, I was told that the mast is planned for an update - in January 2020. Complaint to BT quickly followed. To resolve that I was offered, at BT expense, a Signal Assist. The complaint was closed.

The Signal Assist arrived and I plugged it in. After 2 days of flashing light I contacted BT online chat and was put through to someone in the mobile support team. He answered my questions, or tried to and, after 30 minutes admitted he knew very little about the device and that I should contact BT Shop as they sold it to me. Lesson learnt - never use BT online support!

After 3.5 days of a flashing light I contacted BT mobile support by landline. I was asked if I had received an email? No, was my response, the setup guide supplied and details on BT websites are very, very poor and there is no mention that it needs to be first set up by BT. There are cryptic comments about after it has been setup, none that BT have to initiate this and how we, as customers, can trigger that. Actually, this device is made and supported by EE and so BT have to refer everything to EE for them to resolve. The Mobile Support person raised a call for EE to resolve last Monday, should have taken 24 hours to complete.

Hearing nothing, I contacted BT Shop using a link in an email that they sent me offering more products. The information on the website included a telephone number. 'Sorry, this line is not in use' came the recorded message. On line chat was marked as not yet available. So, I used the number at the bottom of the page. That has an automated system that asked me what I wanted. I responded Signal Assist and was put through to the BT Shop, who could not answer me, who put me through to Mobile Support. Been there before. I had an exchange of emails with BT Shop in parallel, as I was trying all possible ways to find out how to get this device working.

On Wednesday I received an email saying that the Signal Assist was now set up. It contained a link to BT website. On this I found that BT were trialling Signal Assist and that this trial had ended and that they were considering their options for the future. Maybe they should sell a product with clear and complete instructions and train it's staff in them?

Second complaint has been sent to BT. They have been looking into this since wednesday.

Today, Saturday, I finally got a steady green light. This is 8 days since I first plugged it in. My son, in his bedroom, has a very good signal and the Wi-Fi disk in his room is working well. My mobile, in my office which was once a bedroom, has not improved, I have emergency calls only and texts I 'sent' hours ago are still queued and the Wi-Fi disk has changed to amber 3-4 times in the last hour. Fortunately, it has changed to blue again each time. I have restarted my mobile, close to the Signal Assist on the ground floor. Got a strong signal and made a call, this activated the Signal Assist. Problem is that, going upstairs, I lost the signal and was back to Emergency Calls only. 

I know that Signal Assist can be affected by interference from BT Hub, and probably from the Wi-Fi disk. I have never had a problem with Wi-Fi disks before I plugged in the signal Assist. So, more work and testing is required to see f I can get these problems resolved as I do not want my mobile downstairs if I am working upstairs and having to run up and down if it rings.

In summary I have found:

1.  BT generally supply a good service, I have been a customer since 1982. When things go wrong they can be very slow to resolve them which creates more frustration and raises questions about me staying as a customer.
  2. BT sell Signal Assist with incomplete instructions. This leads to frustration with customer and days spent finding a solution.
  3. BT staff are not sufficiently trained in how to setup or use Signal Assist. This leads to further frustration with customer and days spent finding a solution.
  4. BT online chat staff are unhelpful and bordering on rude. I would not recommend this service to anyone.
  5. BT are selling products that are probably not compatible.

Next week I will probably contact the High Level Complaints team or BT CEO. I have had problems in the past that went on for days with no broadband and contacted the CEO team, got the problem resolved that day. BT will respond to complaints at that level if their other means to resolve faults and complaints have failed.

0 Ratings
jpshaywood
Aspiring Contributor
Message 24 of 43

My experience with Signal Assist has been positive (eventually)!
1. Contacted BT to ask for a SA box as my mobile reception was patchy.
2. Call centre advised me to use WiFi calling. But then sent an email with link to BT shop.
3 Complained to manager that I should not have to pay £20 + postage for decent coverage.
4 Received email saying complaint closed.
5 Phoned BT to complain about closure of complaint. £25 credit to my account. Order SA.
6 Received SA and installed. 48 hours flashing green.
7 Phoned 0800800150. Advisor obviously reading script,but,after 25 minute call, says it will be sorted.
8 Interestingly he asked if bought direct or referred by BT.
9 2 hours later email saying activated + solid green light
10 Didn't seem to be showing good service - only 1 bar. Rebooted SA and now full service.
All in all it was a bit of a painful exercise, but now have a full signal and a free SA.
PS I think that having 2 BT mobiles on my account may have focussed the minds.
0 Ratings
faddy74
Message 25 of 43

@JohnC2wrote:

Hi All, Just to clarify that customers are should to go through a set of eligibility criteria with a Customer Services  representative so that they can ensure that signal assist is is a suitable solution. Once this is determined they send the link to the customer. 

As mentioned we cannot control Google results but I'm happy that you have found this product to work very well for you.

Cheers
John

What are the eligibility criteria apart, presumably, from not having pitifully slow broadband?

"As mentioned we cannot control Google results" - a website can prevent any of its pages appearing in search engine results by use of the ROBOTS tag

0 Ratings
faddy74
Message 26 of 43

@bobdanbhwrote:

I got a call from the Signal Assist guys in Swansea.

I don't suppose they told you how they could be contacted directly?

0 Ratings
bobdanbh
Contributor
Message 27 of 43

The chap did but I'm not sure I can ethically reveal his email address in a public forum. Perhaps one of the moderators can give guidance.

I did get an "it's activated" email from <signalassist@bt.com>. But the email says "Please don't 'reply' to this message because we don't check this mailbox. "

It's all worthy of MI5. Sorry.

0 Ratings
liebls
Aspiring Contributor
Message 28 of 43

I have just spoken to BT mobile customer services **Edited**

They said that there should be no need for a call and they are not trained to ask any questions (although I get the point that if broadband is already chronically slow as well as no mobile signal then further disappointment may await the customer).  They said they will report the lack of navigation on bt shop as a bug. If the bug is rejected then I guess it implies a disconnect in the process as to whether it should or shouldn't be available to order.

I already have one signal assist which works fine but won't cover the whole house due to thick brick walls etc so my other question to CS was whether there was any reason why 2 can't coexist. The answer was that as long as it's got a physical ethernet connection on the same network it should be fine and will self register so I am hopeful. 

0 Ratings
bejb
Beginner
Message 29 of 43

BT Signal Assist is a really nice product and I would recommend it to anyone with no signal.

I have just bought a house which is in a total radio blackspot. No mobile signal on any network (not even enough to get text messages, voicemail notification or anything). This meant that we only every got any messages when we drove away from the house, and suddenly there would be loads of messages from people who had been trying to contact us. Incidentally, there is also no Freeview TV (we have to use FreeSat), very poor radio (DAB/FM), no other Wi-Fi signals - when I say radio blackspot, that is exactly what I mean.

We have BT Broadband, which is OK, at about 10-12Mb download and about 1Mb upload. My family currently use Virgin Mobile and EE SIMs. I thought I'd buy one of these femtocells from the BT shop for about £25 (including delivery etc). Given the comments, I thought it either wouldn't work or would be a real hassle. I assumed that I would at least have to switch to BT mobile to get them to agree to make it work.

I ordered it on Wednesday. It was delivered next day - mid-day on Thursday and I connected it all up, so the green light was flashing. The documentation said it would take 3 working days to get it working, so I assumed it would be about the middle of the following week that I should start making all the calls to get it working. However, at about 5.30 on the Friday afternoon, my phone beeped, with several text messages coming through. Set up working, in double quick time and absolutely no need to contact them or have any bother at all.

Just to clarify, it is working on our phones, even though they are Virgin Mobile and EE SIMs, with no BT Mobile SIM. For a once off payment of £25, this is surprisingly good.

I'm tempted to get another one (if they will allow me to have two) to put out in our garden shed, to extend the coverage out into the garden (I'll need to extend the broadband out there using a Powerline connection, so I can provide Wi-Fi too). At only £25, it seems like a real no brainer!

0 Ratings
liebls
Aspiring Contributor
Message 30 of 43

Just to confirm that the second Signal Assist works fine on the same sub net. I haven't yet tested moving from one to the other mid call. I suspect it will drop.

0 Ratings