cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
D_S
Beginner
Message 1 of 4

BT call

I have received call on my mobile yesterday stating it’s from BT business. Offering some new and better package to improve the internet. I didn’t feel comfortable and told him that I will call back that I just need to check that it’s a genuine call and he gave me all my details... my address, my account number. Even knew the name of my husband. I still didn’t feel comfortable and the conversation was ended. I had few missed calls from the same number in the afternoon. I would like to know if BT would share these informations so easily like this. Made me really worry! Is this a scam ? 

0 Ratings
3 REPLIES 3
Anonymous
Not applicable
Message 2 of 4

Re: BT call

It's almost certainley a scam!

I received a phone call yesterday morning claiming to be from BT telling me there was a fault on my broadband - I happened to be online at the time (I thought that one had been worked to death and disappeared into the ether).

For what its worth, my own theory, which I'm obviously unable to prove, is that this information was held by the Indian contractors before the call centers were brought back to the UK and not disposed of securely.

0 Ratings
Carlusha
Recognised Expert
Message 3 of 4

I have never known BT to carry out "cold calling". Yes, most likely a scam or a chancer who is in possession of some interesting personal data!

-Richie-
Guru
Message 4 of 4

@Carlushawrote:

I have never known BT to carry out "cold calling". Yes, most likely a scam or a chancer who is in possession of some interesting personal data!

If marketing consents allow calls then BT will call, depends on the campaign running.