cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 10

BT eSim any progress?

Go to solution

Any news yet about BT introducing eSim for mobile phones? Searching the forum I see posts enquiring in summer 2020 but nothing recent.  Thanks, Mike

0 Ratings
9 REPLIES 9
Anonymous
Not applicable
Message 2 of 10

Re: BT eSim any progress?

Go to solution

Doesn't look like they have any plans to launch eSIM on BT-M. Much like visual voicemail it's a 'premium' feature which is currently reserved for their other brand EE.

It would be nice to see these features but it's unlikely.

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 10

Go to solution

Shame. Thanks for the prompt response. Take care Mike

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 10

Go to solution

No, they don't as of 11 April2022. They offered to switch us to EE which would be OK as it was less expensive and we would get more data but lose, at the same time, access to the BT WiFi Hotspot system.

So one step forward and one step back. The reason you can get an eSIM on a BT Business Account but not on retail accounts is because there are some really big business customers and they won't put up with this kind of **bleep**.

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 10

Go to solution

@briesmithwrote:

No, they don't as of 11 April2022. They offered to switch us to EE which would be OK as it was less expensive and we would get more data but lose, at the same time, access to the BT WiFi Hotspot system.

So one step forward and one step back. The reason you can get an eSIM on a BT Business Account but not on retail accounts is because there are some really big business customers and they won't put up with this kind of **bleep**.

Take it you don't have BT broadband then as you'd still get access to the hotspots if you do

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 10

Go to solution

I'm showing my slip here. I thought the WiFi HotSpot service was tied to my BT Mobile accounts rather than my BT Broadband account (which we have and are keeping).

If I can still log onto the HotSpot service even though our phones are with EE I will definitely make the switch.

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 10

Go to solution

It doesn't seem that simple. This is from the BT "goodbye" email.

What you'll miss out on

If you move, and your BT ID was linked to the number mentioned above, you'll no longer be able to do these things that came with your mobile service:

• use millions of wi-fi hotspots to get online
  • watch sport on the go with the BT Sport app

So I don't know what to do for best as I use both of these services.

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 10

Go to solution

@briesmith 

As you are a BT broadband customer your access to BTWIFI comes from your broadband package not from your BT mobile so you will still have access when moving to EE mobile

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 9 of 10

Go to solution

What a shame that BT Mobile are so slow at this, especially since EE (which, I understand, provide the network for BT Mobile) have eSIM functionality available.  To say that the fix for this is to go to a different provider is a very strange suggestion!

Come on BT - get you act together!!  I have been with BT for broadband, landline and mobile since having an absolutely terrible experience using Vodafone home broadband several years ago; I thought that BT seemed to still have a technical solidity, as well as reasonable customer service (nearly as good as Plusnet) ... this is one of the first issues where my 'faith' in BT has been challenged.

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 10

Go to solution

like many MNVO they do not provide all the facilities which are done by the main broadband provider so to get eSIM you need to move to EE

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings