cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 1 of 23

BT mobile no signal

I have just switched from Vodafone to BT due to costs mainly. My port came over today but my signal is non existent. Iv noticed that EE is showing on the screen. I did not know BT used EE as a backbone for the mobile or I would not have changed over as that was the reason of leaving EE to Vodafone ages ago. Anyone else having this issue. Not being able to use a mobile indoors is ridiculous in this day and age. I feel a cancellations and look for another network is on the cards after just 1 day.
0 Ratings
22 REPLIES 22
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 23

Re: BT mobile no signal

as Bt own EE it is not surprising that BT use the EE network.. did you not check coverage before you jumped ship from vodafone?

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Highlighted
Recognised Expert
Message 3 of 23

@kblokey

BT Are run on the back of EE as an MVNO but BT & EE now have the same owner.

All netowrks can suffer from indoor penetration, and BT recently switched on Wifi calling on iphones and Samsung S8 & S9 as well as 4G calling for improved quality call and signal.

You can check network issues by clicking the link but of course you have the 30 day cooling off period if you do not wish to stay.

EE/BT Network Checker

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 4 of 23

I was on BT mobile many years ago but had no problems at all. But I have to say the problems with EE only started when i moved to Birmingham 5 years ago so I put it down to the fact this is not an area of their coverage. And the comment about not checking is a non starter as not being fully conversant with these things I believed that as BT bought EE it would still be on a network run by BT. We live and learn about coverage we live and learn by mistakes that are made.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 5 of 23

I have just exited my house and still no signal so that blows there signal coverage map wide open.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Recognised Expert
Message 6 of 23

@kblokey

The coverage checker is only a guide, and no network coverage checker can really give indoor coverage nor can they gaurantee it. BT is an MVNO run on the back of EE's network and BT manages its own customer base. The recent additon of band 20 for 4G calling has help with additional coverage.

Do you have a handset that supports wifi calling?

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 7 of 23

Apparently the handset I have which is a Vodafone smart 6 doesn't support it. So I'm in limbo at the moment. I have 4g signal right now but 2 seconds ago its 3g then disappeared. Not great.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Recognised Expert
Message 8 of 23

@kblokey

Unfortunatly that handset is not supported for wifi or 4G calling. If there are no network issues in the area the only options you have are to purchase a new handset (should have got a voucher in your order email from BT) or port out I'm afraid.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Recognised Expert
Message 9 of 23

@imjollywrote:

as Bt own EE it is not surprising that BT use the EE network.. did you not check coverage before you jumped ship from vodafone?

In my experience coverage maps are a work of fiction, I've been in areas where the map shows good coverage indoors and out but the truth is very different, and it's not just BT.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Expert
Message 10 of 23

@V_Meldrewwrote:

@imjollywrote:

In my experience coverage maps are a work of fiction, I've been in areas where the map shows good coverage indoors and out but the truth is very different, and it's not just BT.

They are certainly meaningless where I live, you would expect Ofcoms checker to be more accurate but it isn't, presumably it just pulls data from the networks.

The best way to check is to ask the neighbours, the old fashioned way beats technology again.

0 Ratings