cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
V_Meldrew
Recognised Expert
Message 21 of 40

Re: BT wifi calling

I have a Nexus 5X which is wifi calling capable but I bought it from Google not BT or EE and I beleieve EE only provide wifi calling to on-contract phones supplied by them. If BT adopt the same policy then I suspect that this solution will prove useless to me and to a great number of others

0 Ratings
Dean007
Recognised Expert
Message 22 of 40

I wouldnt jump to conclusions about what handset will be excluded just yet. Dont forget when BT Mobile launched it was sim only and would suspect that many of their customers will not have purchased their handset directly from BT. This maybe why its in beta testing and not just rolled out as EE did! 

0 Ratings
V_Meldrew
Recognised Expert
Message 23 of 40

I agree a more considered approach certainly wouldn't hurt.

I used to deal with EE commercially just before BT took them over, there was "room for improvement" then and I was hoping that they would have improved under BT but frankly I don't see any evidence that they have.

0 Ratings
Dean007
Recognised Expert
Message 24 of 40

On a commercial front these are two seperate business, whilst BT maybe the owner they still run as a MVNO and under a service agreement. When BT mobile launched the sale of EE had not completed, I think as time goes on things will get smoother. It maybe that BT wish to keep EE as a premium all features network and BT Mobile an everyday online network with some restrictions bit like o2 and GiffGaff.

Have thought about becoming a consumer trialist for BT?

0 Ratings
V_Meldrew
Recognised Expert
Message 25 of 40

Have thought about becoming a consumer trialist for BT?.

I have indeed I was looking into what's involved just a couple of days ago, it sounds interesting but I'm not sure I could spare the time
0 Ratings
pwwhitehead
Aspiring Expert
Message 26 of 40

No thats not right. In relation to EE WiFi calling they have the least restrictions of all the mobile providers. Any person who has an iPhone SIM free from Apple can use EE WiFi calling. This includes SE model's and all other Apple devices from iPhone 6 to current devices. Also any Google Pixel phones bought directly from Google also provide EE WiFi calling.

There is a list of unlocked devices on EE site which allow WiFi calling. Also you only need a monthly contract either device and plan or SIM only. Also they do not force you to sign nil to a more expensive SIM deal as Vodafone require.

So in a nutshell EE are the most flexable for WiFi calling with the most unlocked device list.

0 Ratings
V_Meldrew
Recognised Expert
Message 27 of 40

@pwwhitehead wrote:

No thats not right. In relation to EE WiFi calling they have the least restrictions of all the mobile providers. Any person who has an iPhone SIM free from Apple can use EE WiFi calling. This includes SE model's and all other Apple devices from iPhone 6 to current devices. Also any Google Pixel phones bought directly from Google also provide EE WiFi calling.

There is a list of unlocked devices on EE site which allow WiFi calling. Also you only need a monthly contract either device and plan or SIM only. Also they do not force you to sign nil to a more expensive SIM deal as Vodafone require.

So in a nutshell EE are the most flexable for WiFi calling with the most unlocked device list.

Hi PW. I've just taken the following from the EE website:- 

You’ll need a compatible EE phone bought directly from us – in an EE store, online, or over the phone.4

You can use WiFi Calling on the iPhone 5c and
all later iPhone models, as well as:

Samsung Galaxy S8, S8+, S7, S7 edge, S6, S6 edge, S6 edge+, A3 (2017), A5 (2017), GS5 (2017), Nexus 5X, Nexus 6P, Nokia 3, Nokia 5, Lumia 550, 650, 950, 950XL, HTC 10, HTC U11, BlackBerry Priv, BlackBerry Dtek 50, BlackBerry Dtek 60, BlackBerry KEYone, Google Pixel, Google Pixel XL, Huawei P10, P10 Lite and P10 Plus.

At present, other Android and Windows devices bought from other retailers don’t support WiFi Calling.

My phone is a Nexus 5X which is listed as a supported model, but I did not purchase it from EE and so, regardless of which SIM is fitted, it is not supported. I cannot therefore use my phone to make wifi calls using the EE system. If BT were to adopt the same policy as EE then myself and many others would be unable to take advantage of any wifi solution they introduce. 

0 Ratings
Dean007
Recognised Expert
Message 28 of 40

Just to point out that EE offer the network and a service agreement to BT. From that point on BT mobile can add or remove support for any device.

Text taken off EE’s website should be used as a guide. BT will have their own service offering.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
pwwhitehead
Aspiring Expert
Message 29 of 40

Look like you are unlucky than. Because EE do support the greater number of SIM free devices. My other half has WiFi calling active on her iPhone 6 bought from Apple, also I have WiFi calling on my Pixel 2. I imagine BT would replicate the EE list of available devices.

0 Ratings
V_Meldrew
Recognised Expert
Message 30 of 40

I agree it would make sense to start with the same list of devices providing that it is updated as more and more phones with wifi calling capability become available. My concern is that BT will blindly adopt the same policy as EE and only offer wifi calling to  those customers with BT supplied phones, this is where myself and others could find ourselves being disadvantaged.

0 Ratings