cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Icybar
Aspiring Contributor
Message 31 of 40

Re: BT wifi calling

Like many others here, I didn’t buy my sim-free handset from EE or BT, so it looks as if we will miss out again. I also want to know how Wi-fi calling works for inbound calls - it’s all very well being able to make calls but would incoming calls be routed via Wi-fi too? Including when you are in another Wi-fi area, or would it be limited to your ‘home’ Wi-fi?

0 Ratings
V_Meldrew
Recognised Expert
Message 32 of 40

@Icybar wrote:

Like many others here, I didn’t buy my sim-free handset from EE or BT, so it looks as if we will miss out again. I also want to know how Wi-fi calling works for inbound calls - it’s all very well being able to make calls but would incoming calls be routed via Wi-fi too? Including when you are in another Wi-fi area, or would it be limited to your ‘home’ Wi-fi?

We don't yet know for sure that we will miss out, I'm just pre-empting what could happen in the hope of avoiding it.

We have wi-fi calling on our company mobiles as the mobile signal is extremely poor where I work and my understanding is that incoming calls are also routed by wi-fi but don't ask me how.

0 Ratings
Dean007
Recognised Expert
Message 33 of 40

Wi-fi calling normally works in the UK on any wifi network that allows this type of protocol. Both incoming and outgoing calls are normally supported.

Please do not assume that only handsets purchased from BT or EE will work. Most supported handset will work providing they can accept a network profile update and support 4g and wifi calling. You tend to find that networks only limit what devices can be used to enable support if customers have issues.

It is a bit early in the day to suggest any customer maybe at a disadvantage before the service launches, because they may offer more or less handsets than EE. We always need to keep in mind whilst BT and EE are two different companies it would be a bit silly for EE to offer BT customers the same service, at upto half the monthly line rental. I would imagine that unless both companies become one BT will always have service limitations. And to be fair whilst there is lots of comments here about coverage im sure equally many customers are happy. Its hard to get all the services everyone wants at a price they want to pay.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
pwwhitehead
Aspiring Expert
Message 34 of 40

I can only state how wifi calling works on my EE sim only deal. Wifi calling allow outgoing and incoming calls. This also applies to text messages both outgoing and incoming. It works exactly the same as if you had good mobile coverage.

Again EE along with Three are the only providers who offer the text massage facility. Both Vodafone and O2 only provide calls for their wifi calling. Hope this helps.

also this facility works wherever you get a wifi signal. At my Sister in Law I connect to her router to get wifi calling. I have also received it when connected to BT Fon.

0 Ratings
V_Meldrew
Recognised Expert
Message 35 of 40

Hi Dean.
It is a bit early in the day to suggest any customer maybe at a disadvantage before the service launches,
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It's never too early. It's easier to influence policy before it is decided than to change it after. 🙂
0 Ratings
Dean007
Recognised Expert
Message 36 of 40

Then maybe you should join the consumer trails where you are able to trial services before they launch and offer feedback. HINT
0 Ratings
V_Meldrew
Recognised Expert
Message 37 of 40

@Dean007 wrote:
Then maybe you should join the consumer trails where you are able to trial services before they launch and offer feedback. HINT

@Dean007

Smiley LOL

We'll see, I haven't completely dismissed the thought

0 Ratings
orozz
Aspiring Expert
Message 38 of 40

My iPhone SE has the Wi-fi Calling and 4G Calling entry in the My BT app yet my mums iPhone 6 and my dads iphone 7 hasn’t.
0 Ratings
Dean007
Recognised Expert
Message 39 of 40

@orozz

I think that is just the way they are updating things. I have three mobiles with BT, 2 sim only and one with the handset. One sim free had the text over a month ago, 2nd changed last week and one still doesnt show it. Not sure really meand anything at the moment

0 Ratings
JohnH3
Aspiring Contributor
Message 40 of 40

Bought Nokia 5 from carphonewarehouse unlocked but with a pay as you go card, didn't activate card but put in my sim only bt contract card. Went to settings, system,and up dated.

@Icybarwrote:

0 Ratings