Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Nontechlady
Beginner
Message 1 of 4

Cannot connect to BT mail server from Android following factory reset

Hello,

In a moment of madness earlier this evening, I did a factory reset on my MotorolaG 4G.  Following this, everything so far seems fine but I cannot set up my BT email account which was previously working fine.  I have trawled Google for solutions, reset my bt email password on bt.com and then re-tried to connect on my phone but no luck.  As far as I can tell, all my settings are as per the BT website advice.  Whatever I try, I end up with the error "Couldn't Finish Couldn't open connection to server".  It makes no difference whether I use manual or auto set up.  

The incoming settings are as follows:

Username - my xxxx@btinternet.com email

Password - my (newly updated email password which works fine on the bt.com email)

Server - mail.btinternet.com

Port - 993

Security Type - SSL/TLS

IMAP path prefix - optional

I have tried both of the pre installed apps on the phone, the one with the yellow envelope and the white envelope with red trim.  Previously I have always used the yellow one, no problems.

When I tap next  in the add account screen I just get the error message.

Any help very gratefully received.  I am sorry if this is a repeat of another thread but I have trawled several bt forum threads but no joy so far.

Thank you.

0 Ratings
3 REPLIES 3
Fusionmoth
Aspiring Expert
Message 2 of 4

Re: Cannot connect to BT mail server from Android following factory reset

Try the app 'mymail' and select yahoo for the pre installed config. Should work like a charm
0 Ratings
Nontechlady
Beginner
Message 3 of 4

Hello,

Thank you for your reply. Somehow it now works using the gmail app, but still no joy with the yellow app which I believe to be the Motorola app which always worked fine before.  Maybe this means that the problem is with the app and not the connection/account?

Many thanks,

0 Ratings
Fusionmoth
Aspiring Expert
Message 4 of 4

Yeah I'd say app definitely
0 Ratings