Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 6

Change of unlocked handset not showing on profile

Go to solution

I recently changed my unlocked handset from an HTC M9 to a OnePlus 8. I have a SIM only monthly deal with BT linked to my broadband.

On my mobile profile the handset is still showing as the old HTC M9 and says I don't have wifi or 4G calling both of which are available with the new phone.

I have received a text from BT confirming the change of handset which is working with my old number. I tried the trick of swapping the sim cards and sending a text and got the message again.

There seems to be no way to change the handset on the web site. Can anyone help.

Thanks  - James

0 Ratings
5 REPLIES 5
Highlighted
Message 2 of 6

Re: Change of unlocked handset not showing on profile

Go to solution

Hi @jblackstock,

Thank you for posting. The website should update in a few days after you've changed the handset. If that doesn't happen in a couple of days give the BT Mobile team a call on 0800 800 150.

Thanks

PaddyB

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 6

Go to solution

Thanks for your reply. I have been waiting for several weeks and also tried the trick of swapping the sim card back to the old phone and then returning it to the new one. Once again I got the text message confirmation of the new phone.

Hopefully I have resolved the issue as I needed to sort out two landlines with BT and mentioned the mobile problem. Having sorted the landline contracts I was passed to the mobile team who took all the details and the new IMEI number and said they would try to sort it out over the next few days.

I will report what happens but to be fair both operators on the helpline were excellent though I had to hold for 15 minutes or so before getting through.

James

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 4 of 6

Go to solution

So the saga continues.

Having waited for 5 days (3 suggested) I phoned BT mobile again.

The advice suggested was to go through the proces of moving the sim to another phone different from my old HTC M9. This was done using another phone I own and it was recognised with a text from BT. As instructed I sent a text from that phone and then returned the BT sim back to the new OnePlus 8. Again a text massage from BT to recognise the new phone but this time saying there would send the configuartion settings which I would need to accept. This did not happen but checking the settings they all seem correct.

Unfortunately the website still shows the old HTC M9.

I guess I will give it two or three days to see if it does change and then contact again.

I will report back.

James.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 6

Go to solution

Well I thought an update is due.

Nothing has changed on the web site despite two further calls on 11th August amd 19th August. The first said it would be passed on to the technical team which the second call confirmed and also said that the call had been escalated two days before to yet another "?higher" team for action.

It seems very strange taht there is not a straightforward method to change the phone details on the web site. The good news is the OnePlus 8 continues to work well and is giving the wifi and 4G calling it should.

I will update again.

James.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 6 of 6

Go to solution

This is a final update as today at last the correct One Plus 8 handset and IMEI number aare showing on my account.

I made a further call on 28th August and this morning the 6th of September is the first time the correct phone shows. It however still suggests that I don't have 4G or Wifi calling both of which work on the phone. I am not planning to pursue this further as it does not affect function and has no implications.

So it has taken 5 calls going back to the end of July to resolve this which should have happened automatically when BT recognised the change with the text message. If this doesn't happen then it would be easier if there was a facility to change things directly on the website but I guess there may be legal restrictions on this.

Anyway if you have the same problem the only advice I can give is be patient and persistent.

James Blackstock.