cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Seyley12
Beginner
Message 1 of 4

Do Sim Cards get technically* updated?

I've been a sim only mobile phone user for a number of years. Sure there are discussions that we can have about contract or sim-only. I just prefer to have sim -only and with a number of the mobile phone companies giving cash-back for you old phone such as Samsung makes me want to stick with the sim-only option.

But it occurred to me that whilst I get my new, shiny, all-kicking Note 10, my sim card is now about 5 years old. Taken out of the old phone and put into the new one once AGAIN.

So, can someone tell me if the Sim Card (obviously the BT version) has advanced in technical specs.

Now its my dumb ignorance which doesn't know (beyond the basics) what the sim is able to do... so it may be the case that the card has only one purpose; recieve a standard signal with the phone processing that signal based on the phone's spec.

But in conversation with one of the BT "help" team, he stated that under the BT Plus benefits, I will apparently be getting the best 4G signal managable, I assume compared to the the poor competitors.  But how can that be if my sim card is years old?

So can someone put me straight, do I ask for an 'updated sim card' to fully utilise my mobile phone abilities, (short of 5G) or the sim card is no different to the ones offered from 10 years ago apart from phyical size for the slots?

Thanks in advance...

0 Ratings
3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4

Re: Do Sim Cards get technically* updated?

Hi @Seyley12   Accidentally break it and ask for a new one 😀  Seriously I am sure that they will simply send you a new one if you ask. In fact I had a quick look at My BT on the BT website and there is a button to request a replacement sim.

98991F12-6741-466D-AD0F-DCE98144B106.jpeg

0 Ratings
-Richie-
Expert
Message 3 of 4

@Seyley12wrote:

So can someone put me straight, do I ask for an 'updated sim card' to fully utilise my mobile phone abilities, (short of 5G) or the sim card is no different to the ones offered from 10 years ago apart from phyical size for the slots?

Thanks in advance...

You don't need a new sim, 5G is a feature that the handset supports along with the phone network, BT Plus benefits are applied at network level as well.

SoundsDigital
Aspiring Contributor
Message 4 of 4

You can request a new sim, I have had a few when I have changed my handset. (I'm a harsh user and tend to buy second hand ones, often needing different size SIM cards.)

They have never yet billed me for a sim or even contacted me to query why I needed another one.

0 Ratings