cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
methedale
Message 1 of 13

Does BT now use the EE Network - EE Locked phone

Go to solution

Do BT Mobile residential SIM cards use the EE Network, and if so will my EE Locked iPhone 5 work with a BT mobile sim or do I need to get the phone unlocked?

0 Ratings
12 REPLIES 12
hippey
Expert
Message 2 of 13

Re: Does BT now use the EE Network - EE Locked phone

Go to solution
If your phone is locked to EE the BT SIM card will not work. Contact EE to get the phone unlocked.
0 Ratings
methedale
Message 3 of 13

Go to solution

okay thanks, it was worth an ask and a saving of potential £20 unlocking fee.... after all BT I thought BT now owned them.  Looks like I will need to counter any unlocking fee against SIM card savings.  But, at least I know now :} 

0 Ratings
Guru
Message 4 of 13

Go to solution
BT does not yet own EE. They are still going through regulatory approval. So at this moment, they are still two seperate companies with just agreements between them.

Stew
0 Ratings
onslow
Contributor
Message 5 of 13

Go to solution

StewM wrote:
BT does not yet own EE. They are still going through regulatory approval. So at this moment, they are still two seperate companies with just agreements between them.

Daniel Thomas, writing in today's Financial Times, notes that BT's buyout of EE could be a long way off yet, if the deal goes ahead at all. 

A Circular to BT shareholders issued yesterday (1 April), states that, pending shareholder approval and regulatory clearance, BT expects the "acquisition to complete before 31 March 2016".  However, the parties have agreed a "Long Stop Date" of 5 August 2016 for concluding the acquisition.

Also written into the agreement is a "Break Fee" of a crippling £250 million to be paid by BT to Deutsche Telekom and Orange, if BT does not proceed to completion.

According to the FT, "the acquisition will be vetted by the Competition and Markets Authority in the UK, which has already been gathering views from BT's rivals including Vodafone and TalkTalk."

However, the Shareholder Circular also warns of a risk that "regulatory clearance of the acquisition may be referred to European Commission’s jurisdiction under Article 22 of the European Union Merger Regulation."

The FT cautions that BT rivals "are likely to push for further regulation of BT’s fixed-line infrastructure."  Renewing calls for the break-up of Openreach.    Both TalkTalk and Sky have said that a review of the British telecoms sector by Ofcom should include the demerging of the Openreach division.

"The Competition and Markets Authority (CMA) has sent letters to interested parties — including the major telecoms and media groups — asking for input on the proposed takeover.

"In a letter seen by the Financial Times, the CMA flagged several areas that could suffer a “potential impact” from BT’s acquisition of EE. These included how BT provides connections between mobile masts for its soon-to-be rival network operators as well as the retail market for mobile and fixed voice, data and broadband services..."

http://www.btplc.com/Sharesandperformance/News/Stockexchangeannouncements/SEAnnounce.cfm

0 Ratings
atttim
Aspiring Expert
Message 6 of 13

Go to solution

BEWARE just a quick one on getting your phone unlocked by EE, Orange.....mine took over a month to get a unlocking code from them, it was a nightmare, they even ended up lending me one of their phones from the local EE shop for three weeks, also note Orange does NOT seem to talk within EE at cust services level if you have a problem involving both of them !!

All because I went on a SimCard contract !!!

Good luck....

0 Ratings
Geobar
Message 7 of 13

Go to solution
There seems to be a lot of misinformation about this - I have an iPhone locked to orange/EE and my BT SIM works perfectly - BT use the EE network to provide their service.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 13

Go to solution

if a locked EE phone works wiith a BT sim then that is a change fairly recently as you did need to have an unlocked phone to use the BT sim previously

good to know

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
jbancroft1
Aspiring Expert
Message 9 of 13

Go to solution

Hi,

I am wondering if the situation has changed, now that BT own EE.

I have 2 T-Mobile/EE android smart phones and am thinking of taking out sim only deals for them with BT.

Will I still need to get them unlocked before I can use the BT sim cards?

Thanks

0 Ratings
mcronline
Contributor
Message 10 of 13

Go to solution
I have a phone locked to EE, a took I believe and although the corner says EE in the corner and not BT, the sim works flawlessly. I can make and receive calls and use data.
0 Ratings