cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jgwors
Beginner
Message 1 of 9

Enable calling from outside UK

I've gone abroad under the assumption that my mobile contract allowed calling from outside the UK. Well it doesn't. And the catch 22 is that I can't call the help desk to sort it out?

What other ways are there of calling the help desk?

0 Ratings
8 REPLIES 8
garybs29
Contributor
Message 2 of 9

Re: Enable calling from outside UK

As you're able to get online, I can suggest logging into my BT & checking your spend cap as that may be causing the issue & an increase in it may resolve it

0 Ratings
albertj
Contributor
Message 3 of 9

Where are you travelling?

You can use your BT Mobile in these countries for free:

Roaming Countries included

Zone 1aAustria, Belgium, Bulgaria, Croatia, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Ireland, Isle of Man, Italy, Latvia, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Monaco, Netherlands, Poland, Portugal (including Azores and Madeira), Romania, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden, Vatican City
Zone 1bCanary Islands, French Guiana, Gibraltar, Guadeloupe, Guernsey, Iceland, Liechtenstein, Martinique, Mayotte, Norway, Reunion, Saint Barthelemy, Saint Martin, San Marino, Switzerland

Source: https://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/50074/~/how-do-i-check-the-costs-of-using-bt-mobile-...

The zones just mean different charges if you use up all your allowances.

If you're outside of the EU, you can check the costs here: https://www.bt.com/mobile/calling-charges/ I think by default they cap it at £35, which you can increase here: www.bt.com/mymobile

Other than finding a phone to use, or using your own; I can't think of any apps other than 'FreedomPop' to make UK calls over WiFi, and this app is clunky to use. You could try a live chat, and tell them to call you. 

--
Please press the thumbs up if you found my response useful and mark it as a solution if I resolved your query.
0 Ratings
jgwors
Beginner
Message 4 of 9

Thanks for the reply. I'm in Denmark so expected to be able to use the phone as if in the UK

0 Ratings
albertj
Contributor
Message 5 of 9

Yes, you should be able to.

Does calling, texting and data not work, or only a few?

You could also try following the steps for your device: 

How to set up an Android phone >

How to set up an Apple iPhone >

How to set up a Windows Phone >

--
Please press the thumbs up if you found my response useful and mark it as a solution if I resolved your query.
0 Ratings
jgwors
Beginner
Message 6 of 9

Data is OK. No problems there. Don't really use text - mainly whatsapp. Can't even call over wifi

0 Ratings
jgwors
Beginner
Message 7 of 9

Texting is OK. Just calls that don't work

0 Ratings
albertj
Contributor
Message 8 of 9

Most modern phones will do this automatically, but you are dialling over +44?
You could try manually selecting a network in Denmark and see if that works. I don't know who's BT's roaming partners over there so if there are any other networks you can connect to, I don't know which would work.
--
jgwors
Beginner
Message 9 of 9

Thanks for your suggestions. I tried other networks without success. Seems I will have to sort this out when I'm back (for next time)

0 Ratings