cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 7

Excessive data useage

Hello,

I am new to BT Mobile.

My previous provider had 2GB Data Allowance a month, I never used more than a quarter of this throughout the Contract.

I now have a BT Mobile with a monthly 6GB Data Allowance and have used nearly 2GB in a week - what is not  set up right before I use all my Data Allowance?

Thank you, John

0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7

Re: Excessive data useage

Hi @johnrimm are you using Wi-fi or all mobile data?

Stew

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 7

Hello Stew,

Thank you for your prompt response.

I have my Mobile set up with the wifi through my BT router.

My mobile data was switched on, although I thought it would default to the wifi router and only pick up mobile data when I was out...

As  precaution I have turned mobile data off for now - I think something is taking all data through mobile...🤷🏻‍♂️

CEE18DAC-C98E-42CA-87B8-60DFFC9E15A0.jpeg

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 7

If it's Android you might get some clues at Settings > Network & Internet > Data usage > App data usage, or similar, which should show which apps have recently used data and how much each has swallowed.

--
You can click the thumbs up icon below this message if you think it was helpful.
Message 5 of 7

Thank you, yes it showed the apps OK, just does not match the usage - I think I have been running on mobile data when I thought I was connected via the router.
This is my first android after about 15 years of iPhone and the settings are different.
Thank you for your time.👍😊
0 Ratings
Message 6 of 7

It's also relevant that the Android default is to prioritise wifi over mobile data, so you shouldn't have the problem at home if you keep both (and your router!) switched on. 

--
You can click the thumbs up icon below this message if you think it was helpful.
0 Ratings
Message 7 of 7

@johnrimm  login to www.bt.com/mybt and set a spending cap, just to be on the safe side, if you exceed the data then 4G stops working, otherwise it's 10p per MB over your allowance.

You can also set apps to only update when connected toi wi-fi, to save your mobile data.

0 Ratings