Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
RDC1
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 19

Extremely Poor Mobile Reception at Home

Go to solution

I suffer from very poor mobile reception at home. This is related to the local geography of where I live, although mobile reception coverage maps nominally show that I am in a good reception area! I asked BT if they did a signal booster box that I can plug into my BT HomeHub (similar to one when I was with "3") but was told they did not have such a product! Is anyone aware of a solution please as otherwise I am very happy with the service and value I get from my BT SIM?

0 Ratings
18 REPLIES 18
Seamaster
Aspiring Expert
Message 2 of 19

Re: Extremely Poor Mobile Reception at Home

Go to solution
WiFi calling is the solution, assuming your mobile handset supports it. Coming soon. Several other discussions here ongoing on the topic.
0 Ratings
RDC1
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 19

Go to solution

Unfortunately Wi-Fi does not solve inability to send or receive SMS text messages. Also, with the BT Smart Talk App I find that whilst making calls is possible (but not 100% reliable) incoming calls to my mobile don't always get through as evidenced by voicemail messages about missed calls when I do leave hone and get within decent mobile signal coverage area.

Does anyone know whethef BT offers customers a signal boost box that can be pkugged into my home hub, similsr to other telecoms providers?

0 Ratings
Seamaster
Aspiring Expert
Message 4 of 19

Go to solution

@RDC1 wrote:

Unfortunately Wi-Fi does not solve inability to send or receive SMS text messages.

Yes it does. Research WiFi Calling. 

orozz
Aspiring Expert
Message 5 of 19

Go to solution
EE and 3 have implemented SMS over Wifi, Vodafone and O2 haven't.
0 Ratings
RDC1
Aspiring Contributor
Message 6 of 19

Go to solution

Thanks - will try it.

0 Ratings
RDC1
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 19

Go to solution

Does that include a BT SIM (I thought EE were part of BT)?

0 Ratings
pwwhitehead
Aspiring Expert
Message 8 of 19

Go to solution
Even though BT bought EE at the moment they are run as different mobile offerings. While EE customers have wifi calling, this extra has not launched via BT Mobile. Wifi calling allows customers to make and receive calls and text messages when no mobile signal is available. So it works as if you had a usable mobile signal.

Vodafone offer wifi calling but with a limited number of devices and link it to a Red mobile contract. Three and O2 also offer wifi calling.

So at the moment until BT Mobile launch such a service you won't get it. Frustrating as BT now own EE. I suppose in the long-term the two mobile offerings will converge, but who really knows!
0 Ratings
RDC1
Aspiring Contributor
Message 9 of 19

Go to solution

Thanks you for clarifying that Wi-Fi Calling is not available on BT SIMs. Going back to my original question is anyone aware of whether BT officially or unofficially offer customers who suffer from poor mobile reception at home some kind of signal boost box that can be plugged into my BT Home Hub........and if so, how go I get one?

0 Ratings
pwwhitehead
Aspiring Expert
Message 10 of 19

Go to solution

In a word No. It was a trial that didn't commercial launch. It's wifi calling if/when it launches. If it doesn't launch then another provider is your only option.

0 Ratings