Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Colin_London
Recognised Expert
Message 1 of 9

False Advertising?

Go to solution

Just received an email encouraging me to renew for another 12 months:

'You’ve had Family SIM for a year and we think that’s well worth celebrating. That’s why we’re offering extra data for everyone on your plan extra data at no extra cost.

We’ll add an additional 2GB of data for you and your loved ones when you sign up for another 12 months. That means even more streaming, chatting and sharing with your nearest and dearest.'

Hmmm - I presently pay £19/month for two SIMs. Clicking through on this offer reveals that the new plan will be £22/month.

How is that 'no extra cost'?

Now I assume what BT will say is that it means that 8GB will cost me no more than renewing onto the current price for a 6GB plan would be.

That is not clarified anywhere on the email. It just leads you to assume that you can renew, get 2GB extra a month, and pay nothing more than at present.

Could someone tell me what happens if I do nothing at the end of the 12 month term? Would they increase the monthly cost to £22/month anyway on my current plan, just without the 12 month contract term?

0 Ratings
8 REPLIES 8
Dean007
Recognised Expert
Message 2 of 9

Re: False Advertising?

Go to solution

Hi @Colin_London

Providing that your current plan was not for a limited time, then once the 12 months is up it turns into a rolling contract unless you change the plan. 

So if you do nothing, then nothing happens. 

0 Ratings
Colin_London
Recognised Expert
Message 3 of 9

Go to solution

If that is true then the email really is misleading. I might have half forgiven it if I was going to be forced onto £22/month for doing nothing.

Well, I don't need the extra 2GB, so I guess I will just go onto a rolling contract at my present £19/month then!

0 Ratings
Dean007
Recognised Expert
Message 4 of 9

Go to solution

@Colin_London

If you are not happy with the email have a chat with the online team to confirm your current plan and see if they have any other offers. 

BT Mobile Online Chat

0 Ratings
Colin_London
Recognised Expert
Message 5 of 9

Go to solution

I will do at some stage maybe, but more likely i'll just stay as-is because the last time I tried to change something on my mobile account (adding extra speed) it went horribly wrong, took weeks to sort out and I entered phone support purgatory.

I have now clicked through to see the details of the offer and it is worse again - two SIMs on the Family Plan with 8GB data each will actually cost £23/month, not the £22 you are led to believe based on the '£11' cost for one phone on the page you click through to from the email.

My current plan is £24 with a £5/month broadband discount, hence £19/month. But the new offer mentions nothing about a broadband discount so I can only presume that there isn't one and the total cost is indeed £23/month.....

0 Ratings
Dean007
Recognised Expert
Message 6 of 9

Go to solution

@Colin_London

I can’t comment on the email as I haven’t seen it, but all broadband customers get a discount. 

As a lot of the offers are personalised you are much better on this occasion speaking to the mobile chat team who can explain the offer as you are having to make a lot of presumptions or click through start the order until you get to the order summary see the exact offer then click cancel. 

All tariff changes take effect from the next billing date. 

0 Ratings
Colin_London
Recognised Expert
Message 7 of 9

Go to solution
I did click through the order process to get the detail then cancelled, but as I say no mention of any discount which, as I had confirmed my existing account, should have taken account of the fact I have broadband.

The order page says that the changes take effect immediately.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Expert
Distinguished Expert
Message 8 of 9

Go to solution

@Colin_London wrote:
I did click through the order process to get the detail then cancelled, but as I say no mention of any discount which, as I had confirmed my existing account, should have taken account of the fact I have broadband.

The order page says that the changes take effect immediately.

It's worth calling the mobile help team, if you want to renew. They will confirm the details. BT mobile help are reliable as they are a separate department.
I can't be certain, but, from own experience, you retain any discounts.
I only have the one sim at the moment.

0 Ratings
Colin_London
Recognised Expert
Message 9 of 9

Go to solution

Well I did phone them and it was exactly as I had feared.

The £23/month quoted online included the £5 broadband discount. This is compared with the £19/month including discount I currently pay. Therefore, the offer certainly was not at 'no extra cost'. Smiley Mad

Rather than false advertising this was put down as a 'system error' - i.e. I should have been offered a new contract at £19/month with 8GB per SIM.

However, it wasn't something that could be overcome by the agent so it has gone away to a special team for implementation.

I would urge anyone with existing discounts who gets an offer from BT to be sceptical and phone them to ask questions. In my case there was no mention of the discount anywhere on the online ordering system so I could have ploughed ahead assuming it would have been added afterwards when in fact it had already been taken into account.

0 Ratings