Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
TheRealBudski
Aspiring Expert
Message 1 of 7

Firewall

Go to solution

Hi all

I have an issue with notifications still appearing on my daughters phone overnight. I have the access control setup but even when the phone is blocked she still gets notifications from social media. Ie Instagram, Snapchat etc..

its to not the end of the world as we take the phone out of the room but it is slightly concerning that the blocking doesn’t always work. 

Just for the record we have a hub 6 and she has an iPhone 6

thanks

0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
pippincp
Sage
Message 2 of 7

Re: Firewall

Go to solution

Is wireless data on her phone turned off otherwise when the firewall blocks her phone it will automatically switch to mobile wireless data.

0 Ratings
gg30340
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 7

Go to solution

Is it possible that the notifications are coming over the phone's 3g/4g network rather than through the Internet via the Smarthub.

0 Ratings
TheRealBudski
Aspiring Expert
Message 4 of 7

Go to solution

Yes her data is still on. I did guess that’s what was happening 

thanks for confirming. 

0 Ratings
Jonkarra
Expert
Message 5 of 7

Go to solution
I think the problem is facebook, instagram etc are persistent connections. The parental control features on the hub will block new connections during the blocked period but I know in the past its still allowed existing connections to continue.
0 Ratings
gg30340
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 7

Go to solution

@Jonkarra wrote:
I think the problem is facebook, instagram etc are persistent connections. The parental control features on the hub will block new connections during the blocked period but I know in the past its still allowed existing connections to continue.

If the phone is disconnected from the Homehub's wireless network via the access controls it will take everything off the Homehub's wireless network including facebook etc. because the device is no longer connected and can not communicate with the Internet via wireless.

The phone will then default to its 3g network connection which does not use the Homehub's wireless connection. This will allow any notifications that are sent by facebook etc to be received in the same way as they would if the phone was being used while away from home.

0 Ratings
Jonkarra
Expert
Message 7 of 7

Go to solution

Well there is that too. However many of these apps have persistent connections to the servers they use so they continue to get notifications and updates. From experience many of these home router parental control features do not rematch connections regularly, they only filter when the session is initiated and as there is regular traffic they dont time out hence no new session to filter.

0 Ratings