cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 8

Frequent nuisance calls - only- to mobile customers ??

Hello 

We have 3 mobiles at home , each with different provider. BT mobile is a target for calls some times up to 5 a day  from a random number  which appears to be unobtainable. This numbers change every time so blocking    is not a solution.  Since none of the other mobiles suffer such calls ,  I  am now thinking whether  could this be a campaign to make the BT customer  so fed up with the service and change to different provider.   Answering or ringing these numbers back is just the same of hearing one beep and nothing else. I believe these numbers are randomly  generated out of non assigned numbers.  I will give  5 of these numbers and hope that this maybe a step to solving this puzzle.  I have done all one customer can do  with giving facilities.   Npow i am seriously thinking of changing the mobile provider.  Could anyone suggest a solution or a course of action.   Thanks 

07415370738  /  07742521441  / 07829401765  / 01583555996  / 01817520714 

These are the last 5 numbers 

0 Ratings
7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8

Re: Frequent nuisance calls - only- to mobile customers ??

The calls will more than likely powerdiallers based overseas so BT and other companies are powerless to stop them. They normally call from IP based systems so don't have a phone number to block. They get around called ID and ACR by spoofing numbers that can be randomly generated. They aren't targeting BT customers with a view to pee you off so much that you change provider. You're probably getting more calls because you keep calling them back and authenticating your mobile number as working. 

Simple rules of thumb is a genuine caller will leave a voicemail or call back. Don't call back to a number you don't know in the same way that you shouldn't reply to spam emails.

Message 3 of 8

There's a free renumber service you can use, which may help. You can log into your MyBT account and when highlighting the selected number to view things like spend cap/replacement sim etc. theres an option to change the number to a new, random one.

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 8

Hello  thanks for all answerrs since i sent my post we got another  two calls 

07967865680  /  01424631690  

lse .

we dont answer them but i did called the number from a landline or another mobile  . Always the same  , just 3 short beeps  and nothing else 

Our other two mobiles never have these.  It is obvious that BT number is targeted. 

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 8

I just ignore unknown numbers, and when they are not answered, they get diverted to my landline, which has a BT Call Guardian enabled phone, where they are giving the option to announce themselves if they are genuine.

Message 6 of 8

Hi  

I did not understand your suggestion. Are  you suggesting we change our mobile tel number to a different one ..!!!!  If we decide such action better way will be we will switch provider  first and see whether calls will continue and then maybe take more drastic approach  of changing our number which is in use for 8 years .

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 8

Thank you for your advise. These calls started 2 months ago and always to our BT mobile which is not a much used number. Certainly we don't call any of them back . In fact on all mobiles  we do not answer a call if we dont see the ID.

Now our  BT mobile is not answering any calls  any more !!!. What is the use of such phone ? 

That is why i am almost certain this is a BT targeted crime.  What i dont understand  how come BT cannot trace these gangsters  who are attempting to destroy a whole service. I would' nt be surprised if it is a Germany state organised plan to takeover BT & EE 

I am asking  if anyone has similar experience and what can BT do 

I  

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 8

The reason i suggested a renumber is because it seems as though it's only 1 specific number you have which is affected, so transferring the number will likely mean that you still receive the calls.

It's something that happens to people all over the country regardless of network, some people get more than others and there's not a massive amount you can really do to avoid it. It used to happen to me a lot and has calmed down over the last few weeks, its just the way it goes unfortunately.

Your handset may have the option to block/silence unknown callers, but the fact you have all the numbers to hand suggests they aren't withholding the number in the first place so this wouldnt change a lot for you.

Changing your mobile number may seem drastic, and it is, but its either that or just grin and bear it.

0 Ratings