cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
quaffa
Contributor
Message 1 of 4

How long after number change does the SIM take to be updated?

Go to solution

Hi all.

Just switched over from Vodafone to BT Mobile. My BT SIM arrived yesterday, and I put it into my iPhone and activated it.

I wanted to keep my old number, so I got the PAC code from Vodafone and followed the procedure for getting BT to change the temporary new number they'd issued me with back to my old number, and I was informed yesterday that the changeover would take place today.

Sure enough, just after 9.00am I received a string of text messages from Vodafone telling me that I'd made loads of requests for data roaming limits to be removed etc. I hadn't made any of these requests, and so I assumed -correctly, I think- that this was part of the changeover process.

I called my landline from my iPhone, and the CLI on the landline handset duly identified the call as having come from my old mobile number, so the number had indeed been changed on my iPhone. So far, so good.

But... despite the operational number having been changed, the 'My Number' panel at the top of my contacts list on my iPhone was still showing as the temporary new number that I was issued with yesterday.

Now, I believe that this value is linked to the SIM card, which suggests that the SIM card is still 'telling' the iPhone that it has the temporary number, while the number that is actually making and receiving calls is my old one.

This seems to have another knock-on effect, in that various bits of my Mac are no longer synced with my iPhone. (So that text messages no longer appear in my Mac Messages app, for example.)

I assume there is a bit of a delay between the number change and them reprogramming the number on my SIM. Am I correct in this assumption, or do I need to get BT to send me another SIM with the correct number on it?

0 Ratings
3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4

Re: How long after number change does the SIM take to be updated?

Go to solution

@quaffa Did you get that sorted? If you need any help with your new BT Sim contact the BT Mobile helpdesk on this link and they'll be happy to help.

Community ModeratorNeilO
Did you get the help you needed?
Help others by clicking on ‘Mark as accepted solution’
Show your appreciation!
Click on the star next to a reply to say thanks
Help guide to using the community? Click below
Kudos”Kudos”
0 Ratings
quaffa
Contributor
Message 3 of 4

Go to solution

Hi, yes I was meaning to get back on here, but I've been very busy these last couple of days.

If the same thing happens to anyone else, here's the answer I got from Apple Support. (I was positive that they'd bounce me back to BT, but they didn't! Smiley Happy)

The problem was that inserting the new SIM changed the phone number of the iPhone, but the subsequent porting procedure didn't change it back again. This might happen a lot, I imagine.

Method:-

1. Sign out of iCloud under the Messages tab in Settings. (Settings>Messages>Send & Receive>the blue Apple ID value.)
  2. Sign out of FaceTime under the FaceTime tab in Settings. (Settings>FaceTime> the blue Apple ID value)
  3. Go to Settings>Phone>My Number, and simply change the number to the correct one using the keypad.
  4. Re-Boot the iPhone.
  5. Sign the Apple ID back into both Messages & FaceTime.
  6. Remember to accept the prompts on the Mac when it advises a 'new' iPhone has been added to Apple ID and accept the iMessages offer.

Thinking about it, the instructions about porting from BT were perhaps wrong. I feel that I should have left my Vodafone SIM in my phone until my old number had been ported, and then perhaps inserting the new SIM wouldnt have detected the 'new' temporary number. But the booklet that came with the SIM clearly stated on the forst page to insert the new SIM straight away...

Message 4 of 4

Go to solution

@quaffa Thanks for posting the solution that's a great bit of advice Smiley Happy

Community ModeratorNeilO
Did you get the help you needed?
Help others by clicking on ‘Mark as accepted solution’
Show your appreciation!
Click on the star next to a reply to say thanks
Help guide to using the community? Click below
Kudos”Kudos”