cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
tonyw1
Contributor
Message 1 of 39

How to turn off voicemail when roaming.

I am in France for a few months and voicemail (which I never use) has activated on my phone. Due to the delay in the call reaching the French network I only have a few seconds to answer before it goes to voicemail and I get an SMS to advise me of a missed call.

I've spent hours on the phone with BT customer services but apparently it can only be turned off by me dialling 15710 from my phone when I am on the BT network so I'm stuck with this major annoyance for another 2 months.

The customer services rep I spoke to yesterday said that she has now sent an email to the company who provide the voicemail service to BT in the hope that they may be able to do something but it could take a few days and is by no means guaranteed.

In the meantime, whilst bombing down the autoroute at 130KPH, I keep getting SMS messages (which I can't access whilst driving) to tell me I have a missed call (which with full hands free I could have taken). It could be argued that the constant SMS distractions whilst driving are dangerous.

Since voicemail, which I never use, activated itself whilst I was roaming, there must be some way for BT to deactivate it whilst I am roaming, surely?

I would be happy for it to be permenantly removed from my account as I never use voicemail.

Any help would be much appreciated.

0 Ratings
38 REPLIES 38
Dean007
Recognised Expert
Message 2 of 39

Re: How to turn off voicemail when roaming.

Hi @tonyw1

Normally if you have set a pin then you can dial your own number when you hear voicemail press * 15710 then pin

or you could try cancelling all diverts on the handset. 

0 Ratings
tonyw1
Contributor
Message 3 of 39

Hi,

I don't have a PIN as I never use voivemail. I can pick up voicemail by dialling 1571.

BT customer services tell me that voicemail can only be turned off over the network. My handset settings shows that all diverts are disabled and BT say that all diverts are showing as disabled at their end.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 4 of 39

@tonyw1 wrote:
It could be argued that the constant SMS distractions whilst driving are dangerous.

That's easily dealt with. Turn the phone off while driving.

Anyway, to prevent all calls going to voicemail on an Android phone go to Settings > Phone > Call > Other call settings > Call forwarding > then disable all the options. Can't help if it's an iPhone.

--
You can click the thumbs up icon below this message if you think it was helpful.
tonyw1
Contributor
Message 5 of 39

Turning off the phone is not really the solution I'm seeking.

As I said in my previous post, all diverts are showing as "disabled" on the phone and BT confirm that all diverts are showing as off at their end.

0 Ratings
Dean007
Recognised Expert
Message 6 of 39

@tonyw1

Have you dialed into 1571, created a pin? The from another phone dail your mobile number enter the pin and then turned off voicemail?

From what I can recall, most Network/IMS changes can only be done on the home network, but voicemail has a dial in system. If that does not work you will have to wait until someone in the mobile team turn off the voicemail im afraid.

0 Ratings
tonyw1
Contributor
Message 7 of 39

Thanks, food for thought.

I don't have another phone but perhaps it would work if I dial my own number as, if I do that, it goes to my voicemail. 

0 Ratings
Dean007
Recognised Expert
Message 8 of 39

@tonyw1

Give it a try, if not give the mobile team 24 hours to look at it. Let us know how you get on...

0 Ratings
tonyw1
Contributor
Message 9 of 39

I set up a PIN but do not get an option to turn off voicemail Smiley Sad

Thanks for trying, fingers crossed the mobile team will find a solution as this is driving me round the bend. 

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 10 of 39

@tonyw1 wrote:

Turning off the phone is not really the solution I'm seeking.

I meant that only while driving if you find it distracting, not as a cure for the problem.

@tonyw1 wrote:

As I said in my previous post, all diverts are showing as "disabled" on the phone and BT confirm that all diverts are showing as off at their end.

Sorry, missed that. Have you tried deleting the voicemail details in the Call settings menu?

--
You can click the thumbs up icon below this message if you think it was helpful.
0 Ratings