cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
gnsmn976b
Beginner
Message 2 of 7

Immensely frustrated with BT and looking for simple help

I've been trying to get my network unlock code for most of this morning. The PUK code in mobile account management does not seem to work. For a bit of context, I'm trying to switch my SIM from one device to another, the other device being a unit whose sim was from another network. When booting up the new device I get a message asking for the SIM network PIN blocked, enter SIM network key. I've been following the 'guides' such as they are across the wesbite but I'm not really getting anywhere.

My questions are:

1) Am I right in linking the PUK code in my account management to this one?

2) If not, how do I unlock the SIM for use in another device? Do I need to get back in touch with the original device's SIM company?

3) How do I get to BT live chat? Is it down or something?

4) What kind of sadist designed BT's website?

Thanks in advance to anyone who can assist.

0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
gnsmn976b
Beginner
Message 1 of 7

Immensely frustrated with BT and looking for simple help

I've been trying to get my network unlock code for most of this morning. The PUK code in mobile account management does not seem to work. For a bit of context, I'm trying to switch my SIM from one device to another, the other device being a unit whose sim was from another network. When booting up the new device I get a message asking for the SIM network PIN blocked, enter SIM network key. I've been following the 'guides' such as they are across the wesbite but I'm not really getting anywhere.

My questions are:

1) Am I right in linking the PUK code in my account management to this one?

2) If not, how do I unlock the SIM for use in another device? Do I need to get back in touch with the original device's SIM company?

EDIT: I'm trying to find the best place to post this, I've posted under BT Mobile as well, mods please delete if not appropriate

3) How do I get to BT live chat? Is it down or something?

4) What kind of sadist designed BT's website?

Thanks in advance to anyone who can assist.

0 Ratings
garybs29
Recognised Expert
Message 3 of 7

Re: Immensely frustrated with BT and looking for simple help

If I'm picking this up correct you're frustrated with BT when it's nothing to do with them.

1) A PUK code is for unlocking a SIM if you enter a passcode when starting up a phone & a pin etc is input incorrectly 3 times in succession

2) The SIM can be used in any device as long as it's unlocked for any network, if it's not you'll need to contact the network/whoever provided it for an unlock code

0 Ratings
intoxicating
Contributor
Message 4 of 7

The PUK is for when you enter your SIM PIN incorrect three times, the PUK unlocks it and allows you to enter a new PIN.

What network was your other device on? It sounds like it’s network locked which means you need to unlock it first before you can use SIM from another provider.

0 Ratings
gnsmn976b
Beginner
Message 5 of 7

Thank you for the swift response. I need to get in touch with the other company to get the code. My frustration with BT is more that the information available is either lacking, confusing or inaccurate and it is impossible to actually get 5 minutes with BT these days. Do you happen to know if there is any live chat available?

Thanks again for responding, I really do appreciate it.

0 Ratings
gnsmn976b
Beginner
Message 6 of 7

Thank you for the response. It seems that I need to get in touch with Vodafone to ask them to network unlock the device.
0 Ratings
garybs29
Recognised Expert
Message 7 of 7

There are suggestions that live chat has been withdrawn just now given the situation as they may be having to help out elsewhere just now

0 Ratings