cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JSP
Beginner
Message 1 of 5

International calls coming through on sons mobile

My son is receiving international calls from Congo, Ghana etc. How can we stop this 

0 Ratings
4 REPLIES 4
Wizen
Aspiring Expert
Message 2 of 5

Re: International calls coming through on sons mobile

I'm getting the same. Calls from the Congo, Guinea Bissau etc, mostly at night. They ring once, then cut off. I've done some googling, and apparently it's a scam. They phone, then hope that the person on the other end will call back to find out what they want. It directs you to an extortionate premium rate number, and can cost you hundreds of pounds. 

Just make sure you don't phone the number back! I'm looking at how I can block international numbers now. The BT site isn't particularly useful. I can't find anything on MY BT to do it. I think my next port of call will be using a third party app on mobile, like Hiya, to try and block the calls.

It's so annoying getting calls at 11:30pm on a week day, from some scammer in Guinea Bissau. I've got 2 calls tonight. You'd think it would be easy to set up strict call filters.

0 Ratings
JSP
Beginner
Message 3 of 5

Thank you for this. It’s frightened my son. If BT can’t do something about it I may have to find another provider 

0 Ratings
pottyperson
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 4 of 5

@JSP wrote:

If BT can’t do something about it I may have to find another provider 

Any idea how that would work? Scammers dial thousands of numbers randomly; they don't pick on BT customers even if they could somehow identify them. Never answer any caller you're not expecting, whose number you don't recognise and who don't leave a message. Scammers eventually go away.

--
You can click the thumbs up icon below this message if you think it was helpful.
0 Ratings
Wizen
Aspiring Expert
Message 5 of 5

You say "scammers dial thousands of numbers randomly", but anecdotally, I've been with three providers in the last 10 years, and I've never had any issues with something like this. They don't randomly dial numbers hoping to connect to one that's live. They are using lists active of numbers that have leaked online. They share these vulnerable numbers between themselves.

I've only had my contract for a few months. Another family member also has a phone on this service, with a different number, as part of our contract, and they've been getting calls weekly for somebody that we've we've never heard of. Debt collectors, loan sharks - unpleasant people. I asked BT for a new number and SIM, and they sent the SIM out, but it's the same number. My poor mum getting phone calls for somebody that owes Capital One and various credit agencies money. Nothing to do with us.

I'm not sure, but I think BT recycles numbers and doles them out far too quickly. And It seems to be BT customers that are disproportionately affected by these numbers that are leaking on the dark web.  My number is "new". Only used with close family contacts. It's not linked to any social media or websites. Yet I was suffering with this nonsense. My family member's number is also getting these kinds of calls.

I would say that if you're happy to sign up to certain app services, they appear to be good at blocking unwanted calls. My Samsung came with Hiya, which checks incoming numbers and runs it against their databases. I've not had a Guinea Bissau or Congo call in two days now since I activated the service. Other similar services are available. Might be something to consider. BT should provide better protection in this regard. The ability to easily block international numbers from connecting, or the ability to save you from accidentally dialing back by cutting the call. Their protection is poor. I pay over £150/month for this service. I don't expect on a brand new number/SIM loan sharks and debt collection agencies calling for someone we've never heard of. Or even worse international calls from Africa that could cost us hundreds.